• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

holiday- will she be ok?

Tarnation

Meeting neighbors
Hi all.
I've been invited to go on a 4 or 5 night holiday. My mum would most likely be going too. My dad and brother would be staying here. Taking Zorah would not be an option, as it's out of the country. I'm not sure whether to pass on the opportunity, as I've only had Zorah for 8 week. I am not worried too much about our bond, I believe we will be OK, I'm just concerned because it is highly unlikely she will come out of her cage until I'm back. All her food would be prepped, labelled, and ready to go, and tones of her little foraging parcels made up. My dad would talk to her during the day but he won't take her out of the cage.
Do you think she would be OK for 5/6 days until I get home? I can even Skype her - or would that be worse?? Or do you think it's too long? She has a tonne of space in her new cage, but I know it's not the same as being out. I might be able to convince my dad to take her out for an hour or so, maybe twice but it won't be every day (in fact, without me she probably won't leave the cage - she's my velcro bird). I just wanted to see what you guys think. I love her so much, so I will say no to the holiday if you think it would be too traumatic to her. She comes first. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I think with all the preparations you made for her she will be fine. I wouldn't push for your dad to take her out of the cage if he and Zorah are not used to each other and he's not comfortable with it. If she flies off and he has to chase her around the room it would be stressful for them both. If her cage is in a quiet area having a radio or tv on would be nice. Have fun on your vacation!

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree Zorah should be fine with all the preparations you have made. Sounds like she will have plenty of room to move around in and plenty to keep her busy. I'm sure she will miss you but I'm also sure your dad will take great care of her while your gone.

Tarnation

Meeting neighbors
Thanks very much everyone :) - I appreciate hearing from other bird owners that they think she will be okay. As I mentioned, I will have absolutely everything all sorted for her, and Dad is really good with her (talks to her a lot). @Birdiemarie - you make a valid point, I think it would be best if Dad didn't try to get her out until he feels comfortable (if he ever does). I know at the moment she is quite wary of him; will use him as a perch, but he can't touch her because she runs away. Maybe it will be a nice bonding time for them, through the cage. I'll leave my clock radio out so when he's not in the house, he can put that on (my brother is always home but ignores her).
@Shyra Thanks for helping put my mind at ease :) . I'll have to buy her new toys soon and make sure she's happy with them, and stock up on bottlebrush branches from work that Dad can place in the cage every day.
@DancingFeathers - haha, that's great! I told Mum we needed to stay somewhere with free internet... she's like "Why?". "So I can skype Zorah, of course!" (Yes... I got massive eye rolls).

Again, thanks so much. I didn't want to just jump on the holiday opportunity without thinking it all through regarding her care. I'm now very glad I bought the new cage, I would never have even considered being away if she was still in her older cage (she looks so tiny when she's in her cage haha).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had to leave all of mine for a month initially when my mom got sick. And I had not left them at all for so long. They were completely fine. I think I was more traumatized than they were. ;)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She should be fine. Seems like you will be leaving everything fully prepared to make it easy to care for her :)

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
I ended up in the hospital for a week and hubby had to take care of fids with no prep on my part. Mogli bit me hard the first day back but other than that they all did fine

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She'll be fine! Really. :hug8:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree, fine. I took my first vacation when mine were only here for a week or so. Grandparents came in and fed and watered them

Tarnation

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone for your contributions and reassurances. I feel much better now! I've just graduated from uni again, so I'm in need of a good break from the world haha.
Now to get all her preparations ready!!

Thanks again!!!!!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Congratulations! Enjoy the well earned break!