• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel weight loss

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he continues to do well.

ShannonLB

Strolling the yard
29yrs! That's amazing! I only hope to be able to have my babies around that long,you've done a fabulous job! I'm sorry to hear he's slowing down though :( I do hope you will find something he can eat and enjoy..the lady's here gave some great suggestions
Good luck to you and your feathered baby :)

Foxieblue68

Moving in
Real Name
Janette
Yes, he will let you know. Or he could pass peacefully in his sleep. I have just found out my old lady rescue cockatiel has cancer and it is fast growing so we know we don't have much time left with her. I understand how hard it is to speak of the last vet visit for him. I'm trusting that Allie will let me know when it's time for us to say goodbye and I know your guy will do the same.

It's not good when they've lost over 10% of their body weight but as long as the guy is happy and eating then I would let him be.

:hug8:
Hi Sorry to read that your old girl has cancer. Can I ask if it is a growth just under her skin? I too have a cockatiel who is barely a year old who also has a fast growing growth under her left wing. Like to hear from you thanks.

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
@Foxieblue68 I had Allie euthanized in early April. Her cancer mass was attached to the inside of her crop. Not exactly just under the skin.

The vet said she wouldn't be able to treat the type of cancer she had so I treated using essential oils. She lived a little more than 2 months after we found the mass. It grew very quickly and because it was in her crop, it affected the amount of food she was able to eat and caused her to lose weight slowly at first, and quickly in the end.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
What a handsome boy! Have you tried baked yam, baked potato, rice. Squeeky and Scooty love those.

Foxieblue68

Moving in
Real Name
Janette
So Sorry to read that about Allie. She will be pain free and flying with many departed loved pets over the Rainbow Bridge. I am sure you have many cherished memories of Allie :sorrow:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone ... his weight goes up and down, but its at 89.6 gm today ... :)
My old cockatiel was like that for a couple of years before he died. He was also well into his 20's. I had some success getting him to eat cooked brown rice and quinoa though. Plus a lot of sprouted seeds.

Last edited:

j-l-s

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the kind words everyone, Took Corkey to the Avi-Vet last week, to get his beak trimmed and to confirm that he has cataracts ... he is almost blind in doth eyes, can only see shapes with his right eye ... it so saddening ... going to the Vet traumatized him, he lost 4.5 gm that day, he has gained some back ... 86 gm today.

Im trying to teach myself not to move his water and food around. not sure what else I can do for him ... except love him and care for him.

melissasparrots, tried rice and potatoes over the years but he just nibbles at them, havent tried quinoa, I hear its a good us both of us... :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm wondering if he might benefit from a sprout based diet with RPO as a daily supplement?

Sprouts are easier to eat than dry seeds and far more nutritionally sound.

Would it be possible to completely remove dry seeds from the diet and feed only sprouted seeds, fresh foods and milk thistle and red palm oil as supplements in the diet? You can put the supplements in food, and milk thistle can even go in the water, but it has to be changed twice a day if you do that.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry to hear he's gone, but he did indeed have a long life!

j-l-s

Meeting neighbors
Yes he did and a happy one too ...

RIP Corkey ...

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
So sorry about your loss, but what a wonderful, long life you gave him! :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry...happy to hear that he had a happy as well as a long life :hug8:

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm :hug8: so sorry.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
So sorry for your loss...it sounds like he had a wonderful life...

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Wow! after reading all of this this my heart goes out too you j- l-s and for Corky he lived a long life! you took care of him for that many years! he knows that he was loved so very sorry for your lost he is now at the rainbow bridge with all the other birds!. :sorrow: