• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can this beak grow back??

Mirantha

Walking the driveway
This bird's full story is here: AA "Train" Frankfort KY --> Pgh PA?? Special Needs Bird (!!)

If this special girl ends up with me, her first trip will be (of course) to our Avian Vet, and I'm sure he will have some very experienced answers.

But in your opinion/experience, can a beak that is injured this badly grow back? I am getting conflicting answers; some sources claim it can, others say that if over one third is missing than probably not. ???

What has your experience been?

Here she is - Pineapple GCC, less than 4 months old, upper beak partially bitten off in nestbox. She is all wet in one photo from recent bath :)

conure2.jpg conure3.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You are probably getting conflicted answers because there may not be a black and white answer to give. I think really you will just have to wait and see!

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
My little cinnamon chick suffered a beak injury a few months ago, but she only had a cut on the left hand, higher on the beak than that. I read all the same information, but I was really lucky and it grew out with a minimum of filing.

BitBetter_zps1b449f1d.jpg

I think you're little foster's injury is at the wait-and-see point. Maybe, maybe not. However, considering this happened in the nest, I expect she's already adapted.

Last edited:

Mirantha

Walking the driveway
Yes, it sounds like she has adapted pretty well, the owner says she eats small pellets and needs veggies/fruits cut up pretty little but that's about it. I don't know how much it impacts her climbing abilities, will have to find out.

I am just curious what other people have experienced with injuries like this, thanks for the examples - The GCC Fijii's injury looks very similar to hers!!

NoahsMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
My little Quaker came from an abusive situation where her beak was broken/split, probably by someone hitting her cage, and thus her beak, with something hard. It was broken about halfway up and split about 2/3 of the way. Three months later she is good to go and a happy camper!!!! :dance5:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shes just precious, =)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
She's cute!!!! It can be a tossup if the beak will grow back or not. If I had to guess I'd say it won't... but that's just an educated guess. Just watch to make sure that the mandible doesn't overgrow. Such a sweet face :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's your fluffy lil' gal doing?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Bumping this up for an update. I was looking for a video and found this post and read it. I remember years ago in a forum where this little parrotlet named Kermit lost his upper beak to the nares. I think he had a successful growth back. Any body else remember this? Who was that member and is she still here?

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: oh what a sweet baby!:heart:!~

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Marlene
Marlene…. you remember Kermit don't you? I've never forgotten about that little green parrotlet. Didn't his beak grow completely back?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Your green cheek will not grow back the point or stylus of her beak, but all she really needs to feed successfully is for both the upper and the lower beak edges to meet. I have a GCC with no stylus on his beak and he does fine. I also had a cockatiel hen chick loose her upper beak right below the nares and her beak grew back enough to meet the lower beak; but the point never regrew. Diva Tiel panicked and flew into a window and gave herself a brain injury and died.

I really miss Diva. Took me eighteen months to wean her.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Your green cheek will not grow back the point or stylus of her beak, but all she really needs to feed successfully is for both the upper and the lower beak edges to meet. I have a GCC with no stylus on his beak and he does fine. I also had a cockatiel hen chick loose her upper beak right below the nares and her beak grew back enough to meet the lower beak; but the point never regrew. Diva Tiel panicked and flew into a window and gave herself a brain injury and died.

I really miss Diva. Took me eighteen months to wean her.

Oh, that's so sad Lois. I know that broke your heart. She was so lucky to have you taking care of her.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is lucky little girl :)