• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lola is almost ready to come home! Now: Food, glorious food...

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I can't believe how FAST she grew up! We just returned from a ten day sojourn to Iceland, and she went from being a somewhat grey fuzzy lump (cuddly, though!) to a brilliantly-feathered, active, beaky little adventurer. She still likes to cuddle up under our chins.

lolawithtoy.JPG

The breeder says she's down to one hand-feeding a day and is diving in to her food. If she continues at this rate, she'll be ready to come home, fully weaned, in a few weeks. I'm so thrilled! Fingers crossed, right? =) =) =)

Diet:
I'm now trying to wrap my head around her eventual diet. I definitely want to feed her an excellent variety of food to keep her as healthy as possible; I LOVE BirdieMarie's thread in "Looking into our first Eclectus parrots" (really, even if it's from a yahoogroup, shouldn't it be made a sticky? lol), but there's a lot there. Everyone says an eclectus should be able to live just as long as other parrots of comparable size, and I want to make sure that happens to the best of my ability. =)

Primary Questions:
Is the below a balanced, healthy diet? Where are my gaps in nutrition?
Are my amounts too much? Too little? I swing back and forth!

I'm color-coding this to make it easier for myself to conceptualize everything, lol.
1. Breakfast: Growing Up - Cooked mash (maybe a tablespoon in the morning? Half of one? Is that too much?) of a variety of veggies and seeds and grains (quinoa, oats, rice, etc.) My main concern is that there might be too many carbs to feed her daily here once she's an adult; if that's the case, would cooked quinoa mixed with other cooked veggies (like carrots and broccoli, steamed and diced) work when she grows up? I figure I could sprinkle some chia or flax seed into this, or maybe into the sprouts (which I'm talking about next!)

I'm also looking into trying to sprout things for her, which I could use as a breakfast base instead of the mash; I'd love to feed her a tablespoon of sprouts daily for breakfast instead of mash (picking seeds specifically for protein in addition to other healthy ones). Is that too much? Enough? I have a black thumb, so I REALLY hope it's as easy as they say! :D

2. Lunch: Rotating variety of fresh fruits and vegetables on a skewer for daily foraging (at least one or two types of green leafy veggies in every one, orange fruits, too) or chopped up and put in a foraging toy every day for the primary base of her diet. I'll also leave maybe half a tablespoon (or whatever other measurement?) of organic, non-dyed pellets. If I can get away with not feeling her these, I will, but we'll see what she eats.

3. One or two nuts or so a day, as treats. (Is this too much? Too little?)

4. Dinner: A few (3-5) thawed berries (fresh if in season, but I live in a state where it's rare that you can find organic berries for most of the year) and chopped up edibles from whatever we're cooking for dinner that night.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Reza gets a lot of food a day. About half a cup would be the Volkmann's Soak & Simmer and the rest is all kinds of veggies and fruit.

While she is young, I wouldn't worry about feeding her too much veggies and fruits. If she is eating it, feed it. It is important for her growth and development. When Reza came home I was shocked at the amount of food he was going through. It is common for him to go through 2 cups of veggies and fruits a day. Some days it might have more leafy veggies which take up a lot of space or might be more baked sweet potato with lots of other choices. I'm not saying every piece of food is gone, but he tries some, makes a lot disappear, throws out what he doesn't like, leaves some for last..... I change it up daily.

CC64 Coop Cup 64 oz Bolt On SS - STAINLESS STEEL BOWLS

This bowl is awesome! The bowls in his double macaw cage are big, but not big enough for an eclectus. They really do dig though everything and find their favorite things. If something is in the way and they can't push it over with their beak, out it goes! And put something in their bowl that you know they don't like, but you keep trying anyway.... it will get thrown out with attitude. :lol:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I know nothing of their diets but she sure is cute.

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I am completely fine with people commenting solely on her cuteness. She is rather adorable. xD

Okay, then. The more foods, the merrier! I am so ridiculously excited. ^_^

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Keep it balanced with a lot of variety and be aware of what foods ekkies can become allergic to so you don't overload her. Even too much of a good thing can be detrimental. make sure there is a lot of fiber in her diet. Research...research...research! She is absolutely adorable!

Liva

Moving in
Are ekkie diets more difficult than for Toos? I'm trying to decide between a goffin and eclectus. Any advice?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Are ekkie diets more difficult than for Toos? I'm trying to decide between a goffin and eclectus. Any advice?
Yes.... take a look at all the diet threads in this section, that will give you a general idea of eclectus requirements