• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone use Avi-Culture 2?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was suggested I use it for Snuggles, who is picking at his body. The vet does not think it is necessary. The person who recommended it gets snippy when I say my vet does not think it is necessary. He is dismissive of my vet's opinion. But who do I believe? A vet, or somebody who says he has a lot of hands-on experience and success with the pro-biotic?

Here is an article on it.

Avi-Culture - The #1 Bird Probiotic

Snuggles is on Enrofloxicin to ward off infection from picking. One of four meds he is on.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use it for Olive. If your bird has been on a lot of antibiotics or antifungals, the healthy bacteria in their body will be negatively affected. There have been studies in humans that show that gut bacteria never fully recovers after a course of antibiotics. As far as whether it will help plucking, it is hard to say as plucking has many causes. However, there are no risks with probiotics and there may be benefits so there's no harm in trying them.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you consult your vet? My husband is going to insist I ask the vet, and I know the vet will say Snuggles does not need them. I think I asked him that before. Maybe I will ask if it will do any harm and if not, can I try it.

I love your Olive siggie! Such a unique name, too. :xflove:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Even more forward thinking people drs are suggesting probiotics or yogurt with live culture if one has been on antibiotics. My take is probiotics for birds are being suggested for the same reason.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes I did consult my vet. Olive was on strong antibiotics for approx 8 weeks and antifungals for a year. She was put on probiotics to help the side effects (ie. diarrhea) and they worked quite well. I still give her them periodically.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As Ellen said there are no side effects associated with pro-biotics and you can't overdose with them. My vet recommended them for my poor sick birds years ago and says it doesn't hurt to give them probiotics about once a week for maintenance.

Here is an article by a Vet; USE OF PROBIOTICS

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Merlin seems to like the taste of Benebac. It can't hurt anything and I feel they help me. So I've been giving her some as well. She does seem to be healthier as no vet visits for her in the last 7 months (its like a miracle). She's also now gained back all her weight and is a rather hefty 496g again. You might recall that last summer she had gotten down to 432g with the cirrhosis.