• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curl Crested vs Green

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I was talking to Jerry today on the phone and he was letting me know that the Curl Crested Aracari's are much more friendly then the Green Aracari's and they make much better pets.
Question- most of you on here have the Green's... why one of those and not the CC's? Is it price? Cage room?
They have a wait list for the Greens but they have a bunch of CC's...
I have been watching all kinds of videos and most videos on youtube are of the Greens cuddling and obviously every bird has a different personality but I was under the impression Greens were very friendly.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have heard this, and it's always from the same source.
Greens are extremely friendly. Everyone I have spoken to or know of who has them loves them. But there is a huge price difference, so I think the greens are more common.
Pico was given to me free, so I can't honestly comment otherwise.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
From what I've read on several sites (breeders, blog posts), Curl Crested Aracaris tend to be larger and calmer whereas Green Aracaris are more scrappy and hyper in comparison. I've noticed the same in youtube videos as well.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes they are 2x the price - I would assume they are harder to breed which causes the price difference? That and the novelty of the curls
Does anyone here have both types and can say from experience the difference in their personal pets?

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Have you read this? It's really long and informative.
Meet the Curl-Crested Aracari Crew: Toucan Species Special Feature | Adventures in Toucanland

A quote from the above link:

How do Curl-Cresteds rate in comparison to some of the other toucan species people might be considering?

As for comparing them with other Ramphastid species, I would say that as one of the larger Aracaris, they approach the toucans in intelligence without all of the attendant issues that make keeping the large toucans as pets a bad idea for most people. It may just be my impression, but the Curl-Cresteds seem to have a bit more “presence” than some of their smaller relatives. Because of their physical uniqueness – larger size, relatively heavy bodies, bills shaped more like the toucans than the aracaris, and of course their unique, curly-feathered hair-dos – they were classified in a separate genus (Beauharnaisius) for many years, and though now they have been brought into the Pteroglossus (aracari) genus, in many ways they still seem rather transitional between Pteroglossus and Ramphastos, giving them an aracari personality in a toucan body.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
thank you I found both those online and have read them already. I appreciate the links though!

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have no idea.
But from what's been posted here I'd get a CC over the Green, personally.