• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So excited! Aviary to be delivered today

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Given the choice I'd rather you offered me beer than a bear :hehe:
:hehe: Totally got me there!

I put in a couple of the ceiling supports backwards, so now I'm unscrewing those and flipping them around. Luckily it doesn't necessitate taking the whole ceiling down. I was so dang proud of myself for coming up with a ceiling raising plan that I could do alone, that I got a little bit ahead of myself.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
How exciting! I can't wait to see it all finished!

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Me too! Can't wait to see pictures. I am so jealous!

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So, the aviary is mostly together. I say mostly, because there's some final tightening to do and one panel seems to have been misdrilled. :meh: I actually finished getting all the panels up and the two misplaced panels switched around last night a little bit before midnight, but I was getting super frustrated, tired and cranky and thought it better to call it a night...before I took a sledgehammer to the thing.

I have to say, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the craftsmanship is driving me a bit batty. My first parrot cage (ever) so it may very well be typical of mid grade cages to require a lot of pushing, pulling and finessing to achieve the proper fit, but for roughly $1500 I would expect a little better. There are a ton of screws so when I found a couple of misaligned holes that meant leaving a couple of screws out, it bothered me a bit, but truly did not affect the integrity of the aviary. However, when I discovered that one whole side of a panel was completely off...well, that does affect the integrity. Then when the swing out feeder system is misaligned enough that it will not fit snugly, that really started to get under my skin. Pressure built from there...and I do just happen to have a sledgehammer out in the barn. ;)

Having read Macawnutz review of her aviaries, I was already prepared not to like the feeder system anyway and had some ideas to possibly improve/substitute...I just have to now instead of might want to. Sigh.

I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve, with shims and the like, before I completely write off that panel and start calling the company...so we shall see!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
The difference is that its easier on the smaller cages to force things into place ( without a sledgehammer). Quality control could use improvement :(

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Having read Macawnutz review of her aviaries, I was already prepared not to like the feeder system anyway and had some ideas to possibly improve/substitute...I just have to now instead of might want to. Sigh.
I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve, with shims and the like, before I completely write off that panel and start calling the company...so we shall see!

Is it an A&E aviary or is it from Centurion? Centurion has a lifetime warranty although I have not yet had to test how good it is. I know that A&E has good customer service but we all know cage defects are hard to make a dispute about, especially when they will replace something but it's your job to cover shipping. :cautious: My next avairies may be A&E instead of centurion as I'm not the happiest with the paint quality although I will only buy them from a store that will ensure my satisfaction with them.

We had to move around a few rounded ceiling pieces to find a good fit for them but everything did finally get into place. My only complaint when finished was a three bars had boogered paint on them and I had to chip it off and touch it up, very minor but it was a lot of money for us to spend on cages.

Whatcha thinking with the feeders? We got pretty creative to make them work well. ;) Let me know if I can help. :D I'd help you kick it into place if you were close. :laugh: I would not even require a beer. :p

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Is it an A&E aviary or is it from Centurion? Centurion has a lifetime warranty although I have not yet had to test how good it is. I know that A&E has good customer service but we all know cage defects are hard to make a dispute about, especially when they will replace something but it's your job to cover shipping. :cautious: My next avairies may be A&E instead of centurion as I'm not the happiest with the paint quality although I will only buy them from a store that will ensure my satisfaction with them.

We had to move around a few rounded ceiling pieces to find a good fit for them but everything did finally get into place. My only complaint when finished was a three bars had boogered paint on them and I had to chip it off and touch it up, very minor but it was a lot of money for us to spend on cages.

Whatcha thinking with the feeders? We got pretty creative to make them work well. ;) Let me know if I can help. :D I'd help you kick it into place if you were close. :laugh: I would not even require a beer. :p
But what about a bear? :hehe:

Yes, it is an A&E aviary. I attempted multiple times (and means) to contact the Centurion guy and got zero response, so finally went with A&E. I will say the powder coat seems really high quality on mine. In some tight spots the screw driver rubs against the bars and the paint hasn't chipped, instead the screwdriver has some nicks in it.

For the feeders, I'm toying with the notion of using the hardware and the inner plate cover and making a couple acrylic doors (on stainless hinges) for the outside. That way I don't have to deal with the clearance issue for the swing out.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I think Sarah would like a bear :)

Now me, I'm scared poopless of them :roflmao: It's a borderline phobia.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
But what about a bear? :hehe:

Yes, it is an A&E aviary. I attempted multiple times (and means) to contact the Centurion guy and got zero response, so finally went with A&E. I will say the powder coat seems really high quality on mine. In some tight spots the screw driver rubs against the bars and the paint hasn't chipped, instead the screwdriver has some nicks in it.

For the feeders, I'm toying with the notion of using the hardware and the inner plate cover and making a couple acrylic doors (on stainless hinges) for the outside. That way I don't have to deal with the clearance issue for the swing out.

:eek: I think I'd drink a beer before I took a bear. :laugh: Warning though, one beer puts me on the floor and I'm an awful drunk. I go out with friends and come home with new ones. :wideyed: That's another story. :hilarious:

Great news about the paint quality! Now I will just have to wait and see if you can sledgehammer it together. :p

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think Sarah would like a bear :)

Now me, I'm scared poopless of them :roflmao: It's a borderline phobia.
Seems legitimate.

Missouri apparently has few laws regarding what you can and can't keep as a pet. I could probably pick up a used bear on the cheap from some rundown roadside attraction. Anybody interested, just let me know. ;)

I got frustrated arguing with the darn panel and decided to do something fun...and to demonstrate exactly how big it is!

This is not how things will eventually be set up, just a quick setup with the stuff I've got thus far. I do have at least 3 more natural wood perches and a 2x4 and 2x2 that will be going up in the finished product, but they're too cumbersome to throw up there right now.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow! Looks amazing! Lucky bird(s)! I can't believe you did that by yourself! :highfive:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OMG I"M JEALOUS ( and that my friend is hard to do ) :laugh:

What lucky lucky birdies are going to live there? I just adore the whole thing!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
LOVE LOVE IT!! :heart:

Can I say I am jealous? :D

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you everyone for the kind words, the encouragement and all the information you guys have shared on this forum!

As for what bird/species will wind up here. Truth is, I'm not 100% yet. I fell in love with a local YNA desperately in need of a new situation, but his owner has really been throwing up roadblocks lately that have led me to believe he may not be coming home with me. I haven't give up hope yet, and there's still tons of prep-work before I'm even ready to invite anybody over, but the chances he'll be living out his days with me seem to be dwindling.

Funny thing, I had originally fallen in love with Eclectus and definitely planned on getting an Ekkie in need. When I heard about the YNA, I did some furious research and really think a Zon is for me. As much as I have loved the Ekkies I've met, I may only ever have one parrot and so I need to get the species that would fit the absolute best with me and my lifestyle.

I found another guy (BFA) in need, though he is definitely far from local, and I've written a bit to his current owners. I'm still feeling them out and they are still doing the same with me, so we shall see where we go from there. Originally I was going to go the rescue route, but there are so many birds in bad situations that will never even get a shot at rescue that if I can give one a home I feel like I should.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
That is lovely and you got it assembled in record time! I am quite impressed.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Good job! I didn't realize you do not have a bird yet! Whatever you get - that will be a happy bird or bird(s)!