• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Males and nest-like spaces

Glucose

Sitting on the front steps
Mango has become very fascinated with open drawers recently. He'll stand on the edge and peer in for many minutes at a time. Do males scope out nest-like areas as well? Is he looking for a female in there?

Am I doing a disservice by letting him go through this procedure at all? (Single bird home). Is it better that I just don't let him get in these situations? He's a feather plucker, and I'm starting to think it's hormonally driven.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Nestiness can definitely be a male behavior.. And many male birds of different species will scope out nesting sites and even sit on false eggs. As for allowing him to do it ...I cannot answer that one. @Birdiemarie

@roxynoodle

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I had a male ekkie years ago but he did not exhibit this behavior so I can't tell you if it should be stopped or not. While doing this is he being more aggressive or plucking more? If yes, then I would say better to stop it but other than that I'd wait for those who have males with this behavior to weigh in. :)

Glucose

Sitting on the front steps
No he doesn't pluck while sitting there. I'm just wondering if he's ramping up more and then plucking later because of it.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's not a behavior I've noticed in the guys... but I've only lived with two. He may just be curious about it. Does he try to defend the drawer or get angry if you try to move him away from it?

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
My male Conure is hella nesty at the moment. Always hunting out spots and clambering in to spaces. I try to discourage it, as with his nesty behaviour come other not so pleasant hormonal behaviour.

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
I personally discourage any sort of nesting behavior and remove(or keep them away from) anything that could be seen as nesty.
In the Eclectus species, the females are dominant, having several males tending to them and they are the ones to make the nest/guard the nest, and in the wild since nesting places are so scarce they tend to be very protective of their "chosen" area.
I'm not sure males would be driven the same way, considering the species, but it may be better to be safe than sorry. He may just be curious, my ekkie loves to explore under desks/in corners. He doesn't really get protective of them, he's just curious. Especially since he sees the dogs going there, he wants to see what's so interesting :rolleyes:
Also my conures love dresser drawers also.. they've never been protective of them, but while we were moving, they wanted to help us empty out ALL the drawers! Hehe.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
No Ekkies here, but I have two VERY nesty male macaws. With Chico, it's better to distract him and keep him from nesting. With Rocky, it's best to allow him to shred and mutter to himself. He gets incredibly stressed if we don't give him that outlet.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have no experience with Ekkies, however, you all know that I am a big proponent in allowing all of our birds to follow their inbred instincts and that includes checking out nesting opportunities whether or not the bird has another bird to nest with or not. This is an ingrained instinct; something male birds do all the time, even when you are not recognizing what they are doing. That nice, cozy, dark area created by that partially open underware drawer is ideal for a nesting site; it is even lined with absorbent material (your underware) which could be shredded into great baby bedding! :laugh:

Mother nature has told cock birds to look around their habitat and find nesting areas, just in case they find a hen.... It occupies their time, keeps them active and allows them to exercise their brain like a bird would in the wild. I even bring stuff into the birdroom to set up areas for them to check out; both the hens and the cocks. Small boxes. A load of fresh laundry in a basket (I fold it later on) and remove it: meanwhile all the nooks and crannies created by the towels attract all the small birds to check out the open spaces created by the towels. I also get a lot of amusement watching my birds work their way down through the towels to get into the spaces to check them out. It is one of my favorite things to do. Don't just sit a box or two around, stack them inside one another, off kilter, and create spaces for them to explore; like the forest would when a large tree crashes to the ground and knocks down other trees, creating enclosed areas. Move the boxes around from place to place every few days to keep the game new; new places, new shapes to explore, new treats to find inside the open spaces: make it worth their while. The tiels love it when they are checking out nesting holes and run across a wild Nutraberry inside the space! Talk about luck!!!

You know, that is why Saroj's red belly, ?Rudy? loves to crawl under the covering sheet on his chair and chip wood that falls down inside the slighly open area. He is looking for and claiming that area as a nest. Everyone loves his antics on that chair.

The only negative I ever found from doing this is having one bird get attached to a specific open space and start fighting with the other birds (both hens and cocks will fight). When that happens, I just move things around, changing and eliminating that specific space, thereby ending the fights. Yes, it can encourage mating. Yes, it can encourage egg laying. Yes, it can make your birds actually feel and behave like wild birds in the rain forest, "doing what comes nat'rally!" Do you want happy birds or do you only want birds that do what you want them to do?

Your choice.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
My Conure's favourite nest site is behind my back or anywhere my body creates a space he can look in to. Elbows ,legs, feet, neck. He sticks his head in, mutters and then bites.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've a mature macaw that is always looking for nesting sites. I don't interfere at all as so far it's a non aggressive activity. My bird likes to go under things, and likes to drag stuff (I'll give him a soft toy) under with him.

If he starts to become nasty or territorial, I'll rethink my allowing this behavior. I'm not sure though if I could even stop it, it's that strong a draw for him. He seems much more relaxed after an afternoon of hunting out and building nests. I guess it's hard work, and he's ready for a rest when out time is over.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
In her book "The Parrot Who Loves Me", Joanne Burger talks about her Amazon always inviting her under the dining room, I think, china cabinet, and being frustrated she never joined him in his 'perfect' nesting place. It always makes me smile when I read about him enticing her into his new found places in the book.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Lois I remember that exactly, and think about it at times, as Chaos runs out proudly showing me his 'nest'. They're so intense and dedicated when trying to find just the right spot.

Sometimes I get sad realizing my birds will always be looking with never an end in sight. :(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am lucky in that I have mainly small birds and have the room for mates and can at least offer them a sexual partner and fulfillment of some of their desires. I know having Emmie CAG and Sunny Senegal who want no other bird but ME... Yes, it is sad they can never have what they want, but at least they know love and partnership with us emotionally and socially.