• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Australian Small Parrots/Grass Keets?

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Out of all the grass keets available in the pet trade, which make the best companion pets? I know that budgies and cockatiels are super popular, but I'm talking about the other birds. Bourkes? Rosellas? Princess Parrots? Splendids? Turquoisines? Kakariki (technically Kiwi, not Aussie)?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bourkes make very good pets. They are very gentle birds that are also quiet. Most birds from the other species that you named are known to be flighty and are usually recommended to be aviary birds.

Matt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too have always heard/read that Bourkes make very good pets and are pretty docile, like cockatiels. I rarely see them available though where I am.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have a Regent Parrot aka Rock Pebbler and he is fantastic! I am working on getting him to step onto my hand, but he came to me as a 15 year old parrot who wasn't used to being handled. Still, I love him. I have also had a Rosy Bourke and she was an amazing bird.

Out of all the grass keets available in the pet trade, which make the best companion pets? I know that budgies and cockatiels are super popular, but I'm talking about the other birds. Bourkes? Rosellas? Princess Parrots? Splendids? Turquoisines? Kakariki (technically Kiwi, not Aussie)?

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Princess Parrots are incredible birds, I have a hyperactive male who talks really well and is just a cutie! I'd recommend handraised princesses to anyone as long as they didn't mind a not terribly touchy bird. He is just a beautiful bird with masses of personality and looks to boot. Touch bigger than a tiel, so a manageable size. Ours is probably the loudest one out but honestly, lovebirds seem louder than him! He loves to talk and whistle so much.
Bourke's are fantastic too, really sweet, gentle birds much like Scarlet Chested Parrots and Turquoise Parrots. Others I've seen recently are Superb Parrots, Regent Parrots, Rosellas (bit like ringnecks in that they need time spent with them to keep them tame), King Parrots are just precious, I'd love one eventually, all types of Aussie lorikeets are cuties (Musk, Rainbow, Scaly), Australian Ringneck, Red Rumps are good birds. Hehe, well anyway, they are the most popular Aussie parrots :) personally, my vote is for the Princess Parrot, perfect size, beautiful colours, talk, whistle, interact with you, love company, hardly bite, honestly, the worst thing about them is those long tails! Waiting for them to grow in after moulting is like waiting for Christmas!!!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bourkes, princess parrots and kaks can all make exceptional pets!

Rosellas are more aviary birds as far as I know, splendids (aka scarlet chesteds) and turquoisines I'm not so sure about. I've heard that the splendids can be aggressive aviary birds and turqs aren't commonly kept as pets.

I have/had bourkes and would definitely recommend them! Used to have a turq, but had her for a very short time.... I think it was only a couple of weeks? I was given 4 adult grass keets (3 bourkes, 1 turq) and the turq didn't seem to be as healthy as the others. She was a bit of a plucker/feather destroyer and no clue why. She was a gorgeous little thing, still.

TinyPinkBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
I recommend Bourke's, but I'm biased. They are the only birds I've ever had and I loved them very much. They are very sweet with pleasing voices. From what I've heard, some of the other birds you've listed can be a bit more on the wild side.

Ronnnie

Moving in
Bourkes are an easy pick, I have no idea why they aren't more popular. Princess Parrot is one I'd like to personally get, but they are hard to find where I live. I've only ever seen rare colour mutations for sale or hens, and I am looking for a male. Splendids/scarlets seem very pretty bird, the only ones that I can find around here are mutations, and the breeder wants $500 for just one bird because its a rare mutation. :wtf: I just want the normal type. :)

Steve Weir

Meeting neighbors
Most Neophemas don't make very good companion birds they are too timid. I would suggest Lorikeets as a pet bird although you could be biting off more than you can chew with their hygene and dietry requirements. I have heard that Bourkes do ok but for a cheap friendly bird I wouldn't go past Cockatiels or Budgies. Value for money.