• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ID Chips?

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I was just reading another thread and ID chipping was mentioned. I had never even thought of this. Noodle did not come with a band when I bought him at the bird fair and now that I think about it, he should have some sort of ID on him. Do not want a band! So what are the disadvantages or dangers of having him chipped? TIA

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm soon chipping my birds, I'm not chipping them with the metal bands, I'm clipping them with the plastic clip on ones. So when they get too big, I can easily clip it off them. :geek:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I'm soon chipping my birds, I'm not chipping them with the metal bands, I'm clipping them with the plastic clip on ones. So when they get too big, I can easily clip it off them. :geek:
I am talking about a computer chip under the skin.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Pros ~ it will give you proof of identity.

Cons~ many people do not think to scan birds when they are found. Not only that, but you must remember to update your information. I have found many chipped dogs/cats and many times the information is old and no good.

That being said, it poses minimal risk to the bird, and does give permanent ID. Dave and I have discussed possibly getting the boys chipped.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
:facepalm: I'm an &$@#%... Sorry, now ill answer the proper question. :o: I'm not so sure about chipping RJ, If you have a lot of supervision around RJ, in think he will be fine, chipping him, I honestly don't know , Wait for the next members to come. Bump... :confused: I'm sorry that I'm stupid. :rolleyes:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have read that some birds will pick at the skin in the area that it was implanted.

Matt

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Pros ~ it will give you proof of identity.

Cons~ many people do not think to scan birds when they are found. Not only that, but you must remember to update your information. I have found many chipped dogs/cats and many times the information is old and no good.

That being said, it poses minimal risk to the bird, and does give permanent ID. Dave and I have discussed possibly getting the boys chipped.
Thanks, Summer! Think I'll talk to my CAV about it, too.

I have read that some birds will pick at the skin in the area that it was implanted.

Matt
Yes, I had heard this also. Thanks for the input, Matt!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think chips can also migrate over time, making them hard to find/read with a scanner. Target is microchipped for sure, but vet can't find the chip because it's migrated from its original position. I'm guessing we'd have to do an x-ray to find it again. I agree that not many people think to scan birds, especially dishonest folk who might find the bird.

Oh, and you can't chip anything smaller than a sun conure. Which is not a problem for you, but definitely a problem for my little conures.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I think chips can also migrate over time, making them hard to find/read with a scanner. Target is microchipped for sure, but vet can't find the chip because it's migrated from its original position. I'm guessing we'd have to do an x-ray to find it again. I agree that not many people think to scan birds, especially dishonest folk who might find the bird.
Well maybe I should just continue to be super vigilant and save the chip money for more toys :p

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well maybe I should just continue to be super vigilant and save the chip money for more toys :p
:hug8: I don't want to dissuade you from microchipping based on just my experience, though. You should still ask your vet :) I would also like to add that had I the option to microchip my other birds, I would do it, because it's better than no identification at all.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Not to mention the needle is huge! I would feel bad doing it to my grey. I worked at an animal shelter and had to chip the dogs and cats. And yes, some do migrate, we found one in the lower shoulder of a dog one time. I've also read since it's a foreign body that there was possible risk of cancer forming? Not sure if it's true or not, it also said most dogs and cats wouldn't live long enough anyway for this to be a worry. But, it's just my opinion on chips, I'm sure others have had it done with no issues :)

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Also have heard that parrots outlive the "shelf life" of chips, can't remember exactly the wording but I think a member here posted that after a period of years they aren't readable.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
No complications with chips experienced by either of my birds. It was a non event. If the chip only lasts 25 years then I am completely willing to recipe again in 25 years considering how well it went for both my boys

Providing a possibility for them to be returned to me if someone scans them is worth it for me.....wish it was GPS...it is not....but it does provide another possibility your bird will be returned if lost

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
25 years is plenty of life in a chip. Thanks for posting.

I wish they were GPS also. Did I hear that GPS chips can be implanted into dogs/people? I've seen it on TV shows but don't know if it's being used.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I won't chip because I don't like the idea of a foreign body in my birds, especially since they are so small and we just don't know the long term consequences. Studies are now showing up in dogs with cancer in the chip site and that scares the crap out of me. Having said that, the chip should be placed squarely in the breast muscle and if it's done correctly, you should not have a chip that moves.

Interesting information about the bird outliving the chip's life. My question there for those of you who do use the chip, would you just implant a new one? I would think it would be very hard to remove the original one.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I won't chip because I don't like the idea of a foreign body in my birds, especially since they are so small and we just don't know the long term consequences. Studies are now showing up in dogs with cancer in the chip site and that scares the crap out of me. Having said that, the chip should be placed squarely in the breast muscle and if it's done correctly, you should not have a chip that moves.

Interesting information about the bird outliving the chip's life. My question there for those of you who do use the chip, would you just implant a new one? I would think it would be very hard to remove the original one.

Does scar tissue surround an implanted chip? Would think removing it would be difficult if that's the case. One of mine came chipped so really interested in answers if anyone knows. Studies about dogs/cancer at chip sight scares me too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Does scar tissue surround an implanted chip? Would think removing it would be difficult if that's the case. One of mine came chipped so really interested in answers if anyone knows. Studies about dogs/cancer at chip sight scares me too.
I wouldn't think so but it would definitely be a surgical procedure to get it out.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I also wanted to say that I would be much more inclined to chip a rare bird like Alexa's Red Tailed Black than a common bird like a grey or a common Amazon. I too would also have much more use for a chip that used GPS!:)

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I live in such a remote place, accessible only by boat or plane...there isn't much theft, besides shoplifting, here and 1 murder in 75 years. But I might think about chipping if GPS were available in case of an accidental escape...can happen so fast. Didn't think my B&G was such a great flier until he flew from the kitchen, through the doorway, headed right towards his room and was almost vertical going in between the lamp and his doorframe to get to his cage, my jaw dropped. Also read stories about an outside door being open only a second and out they go, that scares me too.