• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should we foster?

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We've been asked to foster a scaly hen, only young and apparently very hand shy. Rather than leave her to aviary life we've been asked to try and tame her again.

I don't know whether this would be right to do, when we got Pikachu he fitted right in and it's only with the tragic loss of M-Star that the poor guy has gone haywire.

Would a scaly hen be a good thing to bring in, is it too early? Would it be disastrous?

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Providing the little one is healthy I cannot see any reason why you shouldn't try, It may even help Pikachu.
I have been meaning to reply on your other thread that his bad behaviour could stem from insecurity of not having M-Star around, they shared a cage I recall? Sometime insecurity can be expressed in aggression so it is something to consider.
As for the foster if you feel you are up to it, I would say go for it

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well I have been told the flock she is with has negative PBFD tests and have been assured she is healthy.
Ive been told she is clipped and hasn't fledged which is not good. :( She has also been DNA sexed, comes with a certificate and a band too which I'd prefer to have removed but if she is a foster then I guess I can't really do that.
The other aviary birds are all bigger than her which isn't fair on her and she will have no cage. I only have the transit cage for the time being to put her in temporarily for quarantine.

If we do try her it will be for Pikachu's benefit. To be honest I could do without getting attached to another like I did M-Star it's hurting me I'd say as much Pikachu. So it will all be down to Pika.
His behaviour hasn't improved he's very sullen and I havent been seeing him eat as much as usual.
He's still aggressive but more of a passive aggressive now and will only lash out if I try to get him out of the cage. Before he didn't want to go in and now he doesn't want out of it!
He's not even that tolerant of Red either who has been standing over Pikachu's cage almost guarding it.

Despite M-Star and Pikachu not being that great of friends, if they weren't in the same room they would panic contact call each other and when madam was in the mood she would wrestle with Pika. Quite often it would be on madam's terms and she did boss him about if she could so now he's his own master and I don't think he likes it!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Of course this is entirely up to you. You also know that to leave a bird mourn is good too..but then you are there observing Pikachu's behavior and can tell if it would be a benefit..also think of the hen you wouild be fostering and would you really be able to give her up after the foster is over>>

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That would be my major concern Anne, if she turns out to be the best thing for Pika how on earth could I think of giving her back??? :(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That would be my major concern Anne, if she turns out to be the best thing for Pika how on earth could I think of giving her back??? :(
Perhaps you can move and get new identity? :p You know we are already damage people so why not? :D

I have no better advice to give you more then do as your heart tells you. :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
then you have to find out if keeping her is an option. Honestly, if it is a good thing for him then it would be worse if you hav eto give her back..

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree Anne, I will speak to them to see if they would hand her over permanently, it is all a bit wishy washy with details. Seems that because she has gone from being hand tamed to shy she's no longer wanted. o_O

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think it would be a wonderful thing to try to help the hen out and everything and I am sure she would flourish under your care..but then you have to think of your flock dynamics as well. Plus if you do foster the bird, then you have to give her up..what happens to her?

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay we have decided that unless we can get her permanently it isn't in the best interest of our flock and current dynamics. My main concern is my boy Pika and his health in terms of mentally and fostering especially a scaly hen with the possibility of giving back will mess him about more. I needed it out loud so to speak to be able to see.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would only do so if keeping her were an option. :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They told us if we take her we can keep her, apparently she is being bullied by the bigger birds as well and they'd rather see her go to a good home.

I've spoken to the kids and they've said they would like to see Pika happy again.

I went and picked her up and discovered she is a lutino scaly!!!!!! :jawdrop1:

Poor girl has a terrible clip and smashed tail feathers. I've been assured she is 100% but I will let my vet tell me that!
She buried into my neck on the ride home and then I sprayed her gently to give her a bath as she smelt a bit.
She is very hand shy so not sure what has happened but I wasn't happy about how she was caught when I got there so we have some hard work on our hands to get her trust back.

The best part though was Pjka's reaction. He heard her from the doorway and was calling like a madman! Then when she came into view he was dancing and dancing and bobbing and whistling almost doing backflips to get out of the cage. I haven't seen him that excited except when M-Star decided she would play with him.

She's not going near any of them and is caged separately till I can get her check up done.
Pika can't wait to actually meet her they've been talking to each other all day and even better for us, no biting, screaming or sullenness from the little man.
He's been foraging and eating like nobody's business since she arrived! We are really glad he's reacted this way.

She hasn't got a name either so we have our thinking caps on.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All I can say is......WOO HOO!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Pika is so smitten! :heart:
He's friends with J again and currently sitting on his shoulder making little baby noises again like he used to. :heart:
He's still not happy with me though. :shifty:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:dance4: That's great. And she's beautiful. :) You know Sunny is always a nice name. ;)

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She's really beautiful, what a little lemon face! :hehe:

Reactions: JAM