• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 2 Day Old Cockatiel with Air in Crop & Attached Yolk

Devin Hickman

Checking out the neighborhood
First off, I'd just like to say that I'm not currently able to get medical care for my pet. My avian vet is out of town on vacation and no one else around my town has any idea of how to treat birds. It's not an option right now and won't be for about 2 weeks. Secondly, I have very little experience raising hatchlings. All my knowledge has pretty much come from non-stop "research" on the internet the past 48 hours.

Two days ago, my cockatiels - who laid 10 clutches without a single viable egg - had an egg hatch. I was totally taken off guard, because I was under the assumption they were both female cockatiels. Because of that, I had absolutely no plans for any baby birds whatsoever, especially not one that seems to be sick.

There's only one bird that hatched, who I've dubbed Norman for now, and I worry about him. I found him pushed into the corner of the cage in a pile of ground up pellets, freezing and chirping, while the parents sat in the opposite corner with their other three eggs. I don't know how long he was there, but I quickly cleaned an old aquarium tank and fitted it with a heating pad and lamp for heat. I then fed him Pedialyte mixed with peanut butter at a thin gravy-like consistency which seemed to perk him right up - I'm now using Kaytee's Exact formula about once every 1 - 2 hours, or whenever his crop is relatively empty.

After the first night, it took me awhile to realize that the yolk (if it is a yolk) attached to his abdomen was not supposed to be there. At first I thought it would just dry up and fall off, but after lurking around several forums on the internet, I became paranoid. Now I'm afraid that if I don't cut off the yolk, it could begin to pull his intestines into the sac or become septic; which I'm not even sure if possible just because of the yolk alone. I'm very, very scared that this could be the death of him, and some advice ASAP would be greatly appreciated. I've attached an image of the yolk (the dark brown/red ball) below.

Norman.png

Another issue he's having is air or gas in his crop after feedings; it kind of just sloshes around inside it. Since I'm very inexperienced at hand-feeding, I assume this could me not pushing the formula fast enough for him and thus he's taking in air as he eats. I plan on trying to massage his crop the next time it's empty, but what can I do to fix/prevent it?

Otherwise, I think he's healthy. He has about as much energy as I would expect, cries when hungry, can hold up his neck for short amounts of time, and even managed to stand up for about 30 seconds a few minutes ago. The only time he was ever weak or sickly looking was when I first discovered him.

I would really, really appreciate some help as soon as possible. I've only been around him for two days, but I already love this bird so much and want to do anything I possibly can to help him. Thank you in advanced for any help you give. Secondly, I want to apologize if none of these things are serious: as I said, I'm inexperienced with chicks and I'm not 100% sure what's urgent and what's just a common, easily fixable problem.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don't touch his "belly button", hold on, help will be here, keep him warm and hydrated. :hug8:

Devin Hickman

Checking out the neighborhood
The chick passed away about an hour ago; I'm not sure why. His crop was mostly full, he was hydrated, breathing and temperature seemed fine. I laid down for a half hour to take a nap and woke up to find him dead. I guess that's it then. R.I.P. Norman

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh no, so very sorry for your loss.fly free and high little Norman, free and high :hug8:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
I have read here that the parents know when something is not "right" with their chick which is why they may have abandoned him. I know this doesnt make this any easier. So very sorry. Fly high baby Norman

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry! :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh no, I'm so sorry. :hug8:

birdle

oh no :( as I was reading I was hoping for the best. I'm very sorry..

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for your loss. The only chick I ever had with a slightly unabsorbed yolk was incubator hatched. Its fairly rare in parent hatched birds. In the case of my chick, it just dried up on its own and fell off and the baby was fine although didn't gain much weight for the first few days. He made up for it later. I think my incubator temp was a bit off and he hatched a little immature. For some reason what your bird has doesn't look like an unabsorbed yolk. Possibly a little piece of the intestine was sticking out. Hard to tell from the picture and not being there. Considering his obvious physical problem, the parents could have just decided he wasn't going to make it and for that reason rejected him. Its very difficult to get day one babies to thrive with just a heating pad type brooder. Those work fine for older chicks that have started to feather but not for day ones. Smaller species are even more sensitive to temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i'm sorry for your loss. fly free little one :crycry:
rocky's mom

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
So sorry for your loss. Parent birds know not to feed a sick baby and that's why they had pushed him out of the nest. You did your best but, sometimes, our best is not enough. In the future, please do not use Pedialyte, I know that many birdsites recommend it but it's really not good for them. In a pinch for formula, you are much better off mixing whole wheat and corn flour cooked with a bit of spring water and a drop of honey.