• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avoid Allbirdcare.com and birdsupplies.com

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My favorite are the credit card processors who automatically withdraw money from my account as soon as a customer files "disputed transaction claim" used to fight these claims but just ended up costing me more in time and labor because they always side with the customer not the business owner who's paying transaction fees and percentages upwards of, let's just say lots.

No one wants to buy parrot products from anywhere that takes returns, definite biohazard and bad business. Just wondering how you handle customers who file transaction disputes? My NO RETURN policy is publicly posted but it doesn't make any difference to the processing companies and I've signed with quite a few over the years.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Perhaps my experience is the exception rather than the rule. Not only did I work in retail for many years but was, also, a public servant (police officer). I found that people did not complain, for the most part, just because they wanted to do so. There was, typically, a perception (whether correct or not) that they'd received the wrong item, defective item, or poor customer service. If the company/organization involved proceeds in the correct fashion via a letter explaining the problem and giving a reasonable resolution (cure), and sends that letter via registered/certified mail while retaining a copy of that letter, of course, then complaints are easily defended.

if i had a dime for every customer who's lied on me, i could retire. i take great pride in my customer service. i genuinely care about helping them. But many customer complaints are HIGHLY inflated. most business leaders know this. so often, complaints are disregarded. the true tragedy here is when a complaint IS founded and it takes several issues before it becomes apparent that there's a problem. i've even had complaints on me that took place when i was WITH MY SUPERVISOR... OFF SITE... OVER A HUNDRED MILES FROM THE ALLEGED PLACE OF THE INCIDENT. needless to say, that complaint was completely disregarded. :rofl:

the phrase 'the customer is always right' is from a more innocent time where honor was the standard rather than the exception.

anyone who's ever worked in retail looks at most complaints with a skeptical eye... i think EVERYONE should have to work with the public for a minimum of 6 months. ;)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Perhaps my experience is the exception rather than the rule. Not only did I work in retail for many years but was, also, a public servant (police officer). I found that people did not complain, for the most part, just because they wanted to do so. There was, typically, a perception (whether correct or not) that they'd received the wrong item, defective item, or poor customer service. If the company/organization involved proceeds in the correct fashion via a letter explaining the problem and giving a reasonable resolution (cure), and sends that letter via registered/certified mail while retaining a copy of that letter, of course, then complaints are easily defended.
Yours is very much the exception. I worked in retail for several miserable years and customers would tell me one story, change it for the manager, and hassle me if they didn't get what they wanted even with a very polite explanation of why I couldn't give them a refund/exchange/whatever else their item. I've found that to be the case in my current job as well, there are some people that aren't going to be happy no matter what you say/do unless you give in and do exactly what the customer wants. There were times when I could work with customers and they would be happy... but you can always tell when someone is immovable and only wants what they want and will not hear anything else.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My daughter recently had an incident where a bi-racial couple came in and told the manager she was slandering them. Management asked her about the incident and what she said without telling her what the incident was about. She thought oh no, I was being abrupt. She was completely floored when they told her what he said as were we. Not something my daughter would say in a million years. And they kept calling back but didn't ask for anything, just to complain. Weird... If only that couple knew we have a variety of all kinds of love in our family. We don't care who you love as long as you are considerate, kind and a good person.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
It used to be this way..... :arghh: but not anymore... now renting this store and things have changed drastically....now I'm installing 16 security cameras.. and have to record everything...doing away with he said she said or vice versa...started working there when i was 11, same age as my youngest is now... and no way do i want her there..she's not jaded and want to keep it that way....

Last edited:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
This is also my experience, having worked in retail from age 14 - 25, for the government welfare system for several years, and now working in online marketing for web businesses. We do a lot of advising on customer service, particularly through social media, as it's the go to channel now for people who feel aggrieved.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
LOL nothing like a guy waving around his black american express card and trying to chisel his purchases down to less than cost...probably the one time I said what's the fee on that 50K a year? I have 5 kids to raise why are you doing this? he didn't say another word except thank you.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
My elder daughter is a sociology professor and I've learned a lot from her regarding how perceptions exist on both sides of a conversation - and no matter how minute, how those perceptions can cause huge issues. Good communication is a lost art, IMO. Listening, carefully, might as well be encased in some exhibit at the Smithsonian. Often, we think we're speaking in a respectful and understanding manner when, in reality, we're not - and that is across the board. I enjoyed my days in retail and did a lot of customer complaint resolution... Of course, there were times when I reached the end of my "nice rope." LOL!

This is also my experience, having worked in retail from age 14 - 25, for the government welfare system for several years, and now working in online marketing for web businesses. We do a lot of advising on customer service, particularly through social media, as it's the go to channel now for people who feel aggrieved.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
My elder daughter is a sociology professor and I've learned a lot from her regarding how perceptions exist on both sides of a conversation - and no matter how minute, how those perceptions can cause huge issues. Good communication is a lost art, IMO. Listening, carefully, might as well be encased in some exhibit at the Smithsonian. Often, we think we're speaking in a respectful and understanding manner when, in reality, we're not - and that is across the board. I enjoyed my days in retail and did a lot of customer complaint resolution... Of course, there were times when I reached the end of my "nice rope." LOL!

my guess is your experience is from that era i spoke of, when honor was the rule rather than the exception. i've been in retail for a bit over 15 years and generally speaking have found that maybe 20% of complaints are good faith complaints looking for a reasonable resolution.
i've found region also plays a big role. many a new person has come to this area with that whole 'most people just want what they have coming to them' thought. then they see, hear, and experience what we have round here. i mean honestly, how do you explain a complaint that supposedly took place when i was a hundred miles away? that's just one there's dozens of such complaints and/or unreasonable demands that i could rattle off the top of my head. its easy to tell the difference between someone who genuinely had an issue and simply wants a reasonable solution and someone who's out to lie, cheat, and steal whatever they can get. you'd be surprised how many people change their story when they find out that we have video AND audio recording.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
you'd be surprised how many people change their story when they find out that we have video AND audio recording.

The company I work for records every single call incoming and outgoing for just this reason. Customers have tried to get techs fired by making wild accusations. Even internally people have tried to accuse others to get them fired. I'm not saying it's a daily occurrence, but it happens a lot more than you'd think.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The company I work for records every single call incoming and outgoing for just this reason. Customers have tried to get techs fired by making wild accusations. Even internally people have tried to accuse others to get them fired. I'm not saying it's a daily occurrence, but it happens a lot more than you'd think.

exactly why I've wanted them put in! plus theft of course.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i've even had complaints on me that took place when i was WITH MY SUPERVISOR... OFF SITE... OVER A HUNDRED MILES FROM THE ALLEGED PLACE OF THE INCIDENT. needless to say, that complaint was completely disregarded. :rofl:

Wow Beth! You're a total BADA** causing trouble while a hundred miles away is impressive!!! :D :hehe:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Once upon a time there was something called The Golden Rule. . . .

And yes, there are some good folks left in the world, and yes, there are issues at times.

I have found if I have an issue and I'm upset, I will just ask for the manager. The staff or employees don't get paid enough to handle someone upset.