• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Returning my Fostered Macaw

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Glad to hear that some time and everyone's ideas helped you decide to stick it out. Trust me I think all of us have had the what have I got myself into when our fid is pissy and noisy but we and they eventual come to a understanding, trust, and bond, sometimes it just takes a while. Trust me it will be worth it in the long run and you'll have a loyal friend for the rest of her life, you'll be her world. :heart: :highfive:

Last edited:

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
yes!!! good luck with everything. she needs a stable home and I hope you can provide that for her :hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Goodbirdinc.com has lots of great advice. Many of us have been there wondering what have I done bringing this bird home. It is not easy but it can be very rewarding.

I would like to thank everyone soooo much :joyful: After following so much positive advice things have been great since i posted this thread. Im really learning a lot bout behavior and have made good progress. Just gotta take the good with the bad. I learned now she loves to climb around drawers with dish towels in them. as soon as i get home from work i pick her up and bring her down and let her dig through them while i get things cleaned up ( still working on a play stand). but i could never bring her back to the rescue- She is completely at home here with me than at the shelter. all she did there was scream and bite, never step up for others. with me around she steps -up for others( doesnt always let them pet her :x3: ), doesnt scream endlessly and is much more attentive and vocal. She definitly picked me, not the other way around and i couldnt ever give her up :heart:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am glad that things are working out, oh so worth it. I am doing better myself with a couple of issues with Luci, yes the black Palm Luci from youtube. Anyway finally she is enjoying showers and she looks so awesome! Boy showers are just so importent. It took me 4.5 months to get her enjoying them. Baby steps but it worked. Great detail given on another post, won't go there. But keep up the good work and have patience! :dance5:

bueryion

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brian
I am very glad to hear that!!! I think in these times it's important to remember the phrase "your pets are a part of your world. To them, you ARE their world." I think you two will be able to gradually work through her issues, it sounds like you've already made great strides :)
Yea, they tell me that once they regurgitate food for you, then your basically married.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Yay Yay Yay Yay!!!!! I am so happy to read that you are going to keep her. It's okay to have a bad day, it's okay to feel overwhelmed. It's okay even to give them a "cage day" once in a while so we can keep our sanity. You just keep at it, every day is a new day. She sounds wonderful and I am so happy you are not giving up on her.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I would like to thank everyone soooo much :joyful: After following so much positive advice things have been great since i posted this thread. Im really learning a lot bout behavior and have made good progress. Just gotta take the good with the bad. I learned now she loves to climb around drawers with dish towels in them. as soon as i get home from work i pick her up and bring her down and let her dig through them while i get things cleaned up ( still working on a play stand). but i could never bring her back to the rescue- She is completely at home here with me than at the shelter. all she did there was scream and bite, never step up for others. with me around she steps -up for others( doesnt always let them pet her :x3: ), doesnt scream endlessly and is much more attentive and vocal. She definitly picked me, not the other way around and i couldnt ever give her up :heart:

So happy for you, she saw that great person in you and picked you. YAY.... your story about her loving dish towels and looking for them in drawers, great idea...remember you saying she only liked a towel and you made it into a game/activity.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:dancing: wonderful!!!! keep up the good work.....she really does sound like a sweetie pie.:).

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for the both of you! I can't have large Macaw's but always have loved them and am so happy everything will work out. :leslieatwork:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
almost 2200 hits, you are a celebrity :heart: :heart: she looks adorable with her head turned on your shoulder.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
YAY, every day it will get better. work with her daily, but try to keep the working time about 1/2 hour to 3/4 of an hour, several times a day. you need time to do those things in your life that are necessary. and she needs time to be a bird and to process what she is learning from you. if she loves dish towels, go to garage sales,buy all cotten ones and make knotted toys for her. you can hide treats in the knots, like nuts and birdy treats. it a forage treat and let's her use her birdy brain to figure things out. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
rocky'smom & rocky too :tiel2:

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
That's good news but, please, improve her diet because it's nowhere near 'excellent'.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
He's asking the right questions to include the ones about diet so I think maybe we should try to maintain a positive outlook with this poster. We were all new bird owners at one time. I started my poor indian ringneck on Wal Mart food because I didn't know any better. You don't know until you learn.

solo

Real Name
jess
Congratulations , i am so happy for you both :hug8: :hug8:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
What a great story! So glad to hear you kept working with her. You are awesome! :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm thrilled, like all of the rest of AA. So happy to hear you're becoming in tune with her, and ready to go the extra mile.

Parrot people (macaw folk especially!) are ones that really have to have grit. They are ones, that have the heart to keep on trucking, even when things look their worst. We're a small but special group of people, welcome to our world! :heart: You'll learn why living with a bigmac is a gift that most aren't worthy of. You'll know you're in an exclusive club. And when things go downhill for you (and they will) remember to come to us here. You'll also soon learn that parrot people are also some of the most caring and giving folk on earth. We stick together, and look out for our own. We have to, the rest of the world thinks we're crazy.... :roflmao: