• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Gender?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now that Luca is older can you tell if she is still considered a female normal gray? She is almost finished with her first molt. Plus she is loving to whistle and trying to speak. luca fixed.jpg

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) I have no idea, but she/he is just precious :heart:~nice window view for the baby....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will be moving from here end of May and birdies will sadly lose their window views.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I will be moving from here end of May and birdies will sadly lose their window views.
Oh chucks..I always enjoyed your birdie pics behind the window..I'm sure they wont mind too much~;)~..

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Most of the time if a tiel is whistling and talking it is a male! females normaly don't do that it is the males that do!.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are the exceptions, you'll just have to wait and see. :hug8:

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
No clue but s/he is beautiful!

Sunshine1313

Sprinting down the street
She looks more like a cinnamon but I'm not sure. Also, I've heard if they still have the bars on their tails by the end of their first molt the it's a female.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would say Luca is a male Normal Grey – he has the yellow facial mask (if he was a female, he would only have a slightly yellow mask very much like the photo of him in your siggy). You will notice he will lose the barring on his tail, and it will be replaced with a solid grey color, too.

Here is a good photo that explains a bit more about the difference between the two. :)

Edit:

Another good one. (from here)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
this is where I totally disagree..I think you have a female..note the yellow tail feathers underneath..this usually indicates female. - if she has been through the first molt. My Samantha is a talker and a whistler (also does beak rapping and heart wings) ..very rare for a female to both whistle and talk..someone told me it is the yellow underbarrin gon the tail that is the true tell tale sign in a cinammon, pied or grey tiel...

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
I would say a male, just based on the amount of yellowing on the face, looks identical to my Julian after his first molt....it also took Julian 3 full molts before he lost all of his striped tail feathers and developed his full yellow face :)

P.s the picture of Julian in my siggy is what he looks like now :xflove:

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would say Luca is a male Normal Grey – he has the yellow facial mask (if he was a female, he would only have a slightly yellow mask very much like the photo of him in your siggy). You will notice he will lose the barring on his tail, and it will be replaced with a solid grey color, too.

Here is a good photo that explains a bit more about the difference between the two. :)

Edit:

Another good one. (from here)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
from the pixctures posted you will see that Luc a has the yellow unerbarring on her tail feathers..

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
Based on some hanky panky I witnessed with my two I know Kona is a girl. Yet she/he... Who knows has started whistling and beak bangs all day long. Coloring is female and some behavior male or I just have a confused bird ;)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mishka had barring under his tail after his first molt (he is about the same age as Luca in this photo)

He is most definitely not a female, lol..

This is him now.

I dunno.. maybe wait longer and see.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks all. The new tail feathers growing are all plain gray so far. The one yellow tail feather split and is only a thin strip of feather now. I do know he or she had a complete change of diet when I got her from Petco. Next get visit will get DNA done. Luca really whistles well bad tries to talk with a little squeaky voice. Will update as she or he matures.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Look for spots on the wings also...they will molt out also on a male.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OK thanks Cecilia.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
i'm gonna say male for sure. i don't know if the lighting is making him look lighter but he looks too light to be a gray. so maybe a cinnamon?