• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Atticus is coming home today!

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
He loves it, per his former owner and the fact that he'd just TEAR through it when I'd visit him.

Tonight (the later portion) was tough. He wasn't very interested in any of his toys, got somewhat aggressive with them, would chew for a minute or two then throw it to the floor and angrily attack if it I picked it up. He would alternate between his happy, "I'M EXCITED BOUNCE ME!" whistle and then scream. I bounced him a few times (not when he was screaming), but he seemed to be getting overstimulated so I stopped. Then he bit my arm, not hard, but enough.

It's only night two; he did live at his last home for ten years before coming to me. He's probably missing his mom. =( It's that, new environment, less stimulation during the day, and possibly hormones maybe? I dunno. Thoughts? =) Thanks for reading, everyone!

I'm feeling like my cockatoo might be training me, lol.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He loves it, per his former owner and the fact that he'd just TEAR through it when I'd visit him.

Tonight (the later portion) was tough. He wasn't very interested in any of his toys, got somewhat aggressive with them, would chew for a minute or two then throw it to the floor and angrily attack if it I picked it up. He would alternate between his happy, "I'M EXCITED BOUNCE ME!" whistle and then scream. I bounced him a few times (not when he was screaming), but he seemed to be getting overstimulated so I stopped. Then he bit my arm, not hard, but enough.

It's only night two; he did live at his last home for ten years before coming to me. He's probably missing his mom. =( It's that, new environment, less stimulation during the day, and possibly hormones maybe? I dunno. Thoughts? =) Thanks for reading, everyone!

I'm feeling like my cockatoo might be training me, lol.
Your post contains your answer: it's only night two. I know it's hard to do- you care so much- but don't overthink the situation. After all. it is only day 2. :)
I have to be very careful with Milton. He enjoys playing so much, and it's very easy for him to get overstimulated. He wants to keep on playing and playing. And yes, he's given me several bites when he thought that we should be playing, rather than stopping.
My education in 'too continues EVERY day... Milty sees to that... ;)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Bouncing will usually lead to over-stimulation. I don't bounce Zuni at this time of year. I don't hold him on my arm and dance him. I do sing with him (oh, my poor ears). Throwing toys on the floor is fun. We sit and fling socks or little stuffed monkeys on Pooka's cage, and he races over and throws them on the floor. It is not a good time to put your hands in the mix, but he's having a grand time. Usually when I pick up something that's been tossed, I say "I'm putting that right THERE." and when they throw it, I say "HEY! What are you doing? Stop throwing my stuff on the floor. I'm putting that RIGHT THERE." and I put it back again.

I really think you need to relax and stop analyzing everything. Just get to know him. Your goal isn't to recreate his old home, your goal is to create a NEW environment that works for both you and Atticus (and your neighbor). If he seems like he was getting agitated and angry, maybe put him to bed earlier. Or turn the lights down and the sound down on the tv and try to have some quiet time. Even if it's quiet time in his cage, you could read or sing to him. He doesn't need to spend every second playing or being held. My Toos are kings of the power nap. Usually after dinner, they nap for 20 minutes or so and then wake up and start ramming around again.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Okay. I officially have no idea what happened.

Half an hour ago, I was thinking about how much better today was going. I'd taken Atticus out, we had dinner, he was a happy fellow; I didn't want a repeat of last night, so I started getting the hang of telling him "I'll be back!" and disappearing for a short while. He didn't contact call, only got nervous and call when I'd be gone for more than two minutes or so.

Everything seemed mellow; if he got nervous, I'd wait until he'd quiet down before going back in the room He really wanted up on my hand, so I kept telling him to wait because I was cleaning the kitchen. I'd pet his head (not his shoulders, back, or anywhere else). I figured we'd get maybe half an hour of contact time, so I picked him up at long last. Well, when I sat down, he seemed to be trying to get my hand in between his legs. I figured he was maybe being hormonal or something, because it definitely seemed sexual. I wasn't playing with him, was very mellow with my energy, not at all wound up, calm, and he started doing his "Let's go up and down!" whistle, even though I wasn't playing or giving off that energy at all. I moved to set him back down on his perch, because he was getting more and more wound up, and then he all of the sudden, from nowhere, started screaming at me with his open beak and posturing, something I've never seen him do. He *really* didn't want to go back to the playgym, and then he wasn't settling down, even when I backed away from the gym. He bit me again and broke skin this time. I told him "no!" firmly--I dropped my arm (like we do for my budgies) so he immediately let go (I know, you're no supposed to do negative reinforcement) and calmly brought him to his cage and set him down.

I know you guys are telling me that I'm over-analyzing, but that was scary. My husband wasn't home to help me out because he has to be at school for a function. What can I do to keep this from happening again? Is he overstimulated? Hormonal? Am I doing something wrong? Should I make a point to limit my direct contact with him for awhile? Before, he'd only come out of his cage when we were at the rescue and he didn't have as much one-on-one attention at his previous home. Should I put him back in his cage around seven, when this behavior seems to be occurring? I got home at five... would two hours out of the cage be enough?

I'm sorry this is long, I'm just upset and trying not to make a big show for Atticus. =(

birdle

i don't blame you for being scared. moluccans are big birds and that beak can do some damage. I help care for a big moluccan boy who is about the same age as atticus and it seems like sometimes there's just no warning before a bite. Yesterday he was out on his cage and there's not much room for me to go between his cage and the greys so I had to squeeze by and next thing I knew he had lunged fast as a snake and had grabbed a beakful of hair and ripped some out. He was trying to get my face. I'd slow it down a little bit, maybe try the darker room with soft music and see if you can handle him better in that situation.

I really want everything to work out for you guys :) I enjoyed reading about your excitement and meeting atticus :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
First of all, Atticus is such a great name!
Second, you are in fact, so cute.
You will learn through trial and error what toys will be most accepted by him.

Lastly, congratulations. What a rich and fabulous gift you have been given. I suspect you will never take it for granted. But if you do, having lost all of mine, I would have to hunt you down and kill you.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Sarah, first of all I'm sorry ya got bit..again! try to use a stick hon, dont trust him on your arm. Hopefully this has not become a game with him. So, change the routine and use a stick to carry him around. He could be hormonal, frustrated, and just plain ole confused. A scary and dangerous combination. Why dont you just let him be. Open the cage door, place the play gym next to the cage. Sit down next to him but not too close and simply talk to him. From what I've read from you he does not fly?...so at least you dont have to worry about flight attacks.

I understand your desperation to befriend him, but hon, it's gonna be on HIS terms, not yours....please dont push him....let HIM come around.
  • :hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sorry to see Atti got you again. Sounds like you did everything right, but chomp. It happens,for sure. Sometimes, you really can't tell why the bite happens. Lupe is spot on, try using a stick to handle him.
You have a good thought there-ease back a little on direct contact for a little bit. Involve Atti from a distance, let him observe you in your daily routine. Most importantly, talk to him, show him what you're doing- 'toos are love to watch the goings-on of the house...even when they don't want direct interaction... :)

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I think he's confused about what he wants, lol. And I think he's testing boundaries because I doubt he had as many at his last place, where there were at least five other large birds to compete with. I think he was trying to intimidate me into spending cuddle time with him. Didn't work.

New rules: 1) No direct contact after seven p.m, his old bed-time, because that's when he's gone a little nuts. He's only been getting about nine hours of sleep with our schedule (hubby wakes him up at five and he goes to bed at eight), so we'll turn the lights on low (although the sun doesn't help) and be very calm to settle him down. 2) If he's been on his playstand all day and starts getting too worked up like last night, I'm putting him directly back in his cage, not on the stand he's been on all day. I think that was the main issue, he REALLY didn't want to be put back there because he'd been on it for the past few hours while I cleaned the kitchen.

I'm pretty tired today; I woke up upset still, unlike yesterday, so that sucked. It was really terrifying when he was screaming and posturing. Argh.

So, I'm going to remind myself of awesome things that happened yesterday:
1. He took a bath! I had the faucet running, he looked interested, so I set him down there and he quite enjoyed that. When he went to bite the sink faucet, I kindly but firmly told him "no" and he listened and stopped. Good boy.
2. He was more mellow until our "incident," happily preening away while I cleaned the kitchen.
3. He wouldn't scream right away when I left the room.
4. We explored the house a little bit; he got a little ambitious and climbed onto the towel rack by the wall, lost his footing, and didn't bite me out of fear when he started falling and I went to rescue him. BIG YAY for that! Trust!
5. He climbed up on his atom ball and wasn't afraid of it.

So that's where I am right now. Oi. We're going to be out of the house tonight; it's Final Friday at the Art Museum, so he'll only have two or so hours of interaction today rather than the four. We'll see how it goes.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
The fact that he likes baths is a super plus! I'm happy there was some positive interaction....he does need from 10-12 hrs sleep. That way he doesnt become agitated....
  • :hug8:

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I just worry that if he only gets three hours of out-of-cage time a day, it won't be enough to keep him happy.

But I suppose we'll try putting him to bed earlier and perhaps Fletcher can uncover him right before he leaves. That'll expand it to eleven hours. We'll see!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I just worry that if he only gets three hours of out-of-cage time a day, it won't be enough to keep him happy.

But I suppose we'll try putting him to bed earlier and perhaps Fletcher can uncover him right before he leaves. That'll expand it to eleven hours. We'll see!
Three hours out of cage, IF it's quality time, should be just fine. As time passes and trust flourishes you will most likely take him out more often and include him in more activities.:)~~

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A sleep cage in the quietest room of the house might help. I have a bird room, but it's only used when I'm gone and for sleeping. Their play area is in the eat-in part of my kitchen.

Also a birds bedtime can be sacred to them. My birds go to bed between 9 and 10 pm, but when I had a foster QP here he insisted on bedtime between 6:30 and 7pm.
I would hear "Go to bed, Good Night!!!" on repeat till I covered him for the night. Covering his cage worked for him, but if it hadn't I would have moved him to another room so he could get the amount of beauty sleep he DEMANDED :rolleyes: :D

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
You are doing great. Being freaked out by a bite isn't over analyzing!

Trying to straddle your hand is definitely sexual. I would have put him back in his cage then.

I think the plan of putting him to bed earlier will help. Seriously, if he's this wound up, it's fine if you keep the holding/direct contact to 5 minutes, then put him down. Maybe hold him again later on for a few minutes, then put him down. If he has a favorite treat or foot toy, hand him that when you put him down. I think you try to put him down BEFORE he gets going - even if you only hold him for 3 minutes. It's really hard. At our house, we have lots of ways of interacting with our birds without TOUCHING them, but so many of those involve getting them wound up - playing ball, dancing, etc. This is fine for the macaws, but it doesn't work for Zuni. If he gets wound up, he will fly at us. Zuni gets wound up if he's 'helping' in the kitchen and we start whisking or stirring things. It is a very fine line, and you have to be conscious of that line at all times.

When he's helping in the kitchen, hand him things and label things. Give him a spoon (he would probably wreck a fork) and let him play with that. As you're putting away dishes, say "What's this? This is a PLATE? Where does that go? It goes in this cabinet!" Give him a carrot stick, or bowl of ice cubes with some beads. Keep a drawer or tupperware full of Atticus toys. Wooden clothes pins, birdie bagels, sports bottle tops, dixie cups.... It doesn't have to be complicated. Simple, unexpected and safe. Interact without touching or fussing.

Also, don't think of his cage as a prison - think of it as his personal space. If he doesn't want to go on the play gym, there is no harm in putting him in his cage for a cool down. There's no rule that says he has to be in for the night if you put him in for a while. Zuni usually has a go-round with hormones in May/June and then in November/December, so you may have a combination of hormones and a game of testing the human. These birds are incredibly smart, incredibly manipulative, and have a healthy dose of self-interest. They are always trying to come out on top, and they have the smarts to do it. There is a reason that M2's are considered one of the most difficult parrots to live with...

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
you have some great advice here! i just wanna give ya a :hug8: cause i understand!

i also wanna make a few observations bout my flock that you may be able to relate to.... or maybe not:

- they dont have 'cages' they have 'rooms' as in 'i have to go to work so you have to go in your room'. often they play in their 'room' even with the door wide open, cause its THEIR ROOM.

- generally the 12 hr rule for sleep is best. but my macaw gets very resistant to bedtime if he's in bed for 12 hours more than a couple days in a row.... but he's weird he generally needs 10 or so max. now there are times they dont get their required sleep time and they are feathery little bears. so perhaps the issues you are seeing are related to the lack of enough sleep rather than lack of enough social time. think of him like a toddler. they need the sleep but dont necessarily want to go to bed, especially if they're afraid they'll miss something fun. :rolleyes: honestly, that whole tantrumy incident the other nite reminds me of what i have round here when we dont have enough sleep time. unfortunately, one good nite's sleep doesnt cure the problem. like last nite my flock got 8 hrs, that's not AS bad as long as we get back to normal the next nite. but if i close and then open they get about 6 hrs and it takes a minimum of two nites of good sleep for them to get back to normal.

and now i have to start getting my grumpy flock to bed. :hug8:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Noodle usually goes to bed at 7pm and if I'm not paying attention to the time, he will start getting really cranky and start getting loud. He does really well sleeping 7pm to 7 am.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
you have some great advice here! i just wanna give ya a :hug8: cause i understand!

i also wanna make a few observations bout my flock that you may be able to relate to.... or maybe not:

- they dont have 'cages' they have 'rooms' as in 'i have to go to work so you have to go in your room'. often they play in their 'room' even with the door wide open, cause its THEIR ROOM.

- generally the 12 hr rule for sleep is best. but my macaw gets very resistant to bedtime if he's in bed for 12 hours more than a couple days in a row.... but he's weird he generally needs 10 or so max. now there are times they dont get their required sleep time and they are feathery little bears. so perhaps the issues you are seeing are related to the lack of enough sleep rather than lack of enough social time. think of him like a toddler. they need the sleep but dont necessarily want to go to bed, especially if they're afraid they'll miss something fun. :rolleyes: honestly, that whole tantrumy incident the other nite reminds me of what i have round here when we dont have enough sleep time. unfortunately, one good nite's sleep doesnt cure the problem. like last nite my flock got 8 hrs, that's not AS bad as long as we get back to normal the next nite. but if i close and then open they get about 6 hrs and it takes a minimum of two nites of good sleep for them to get back to normal.

and now i have to start getting my grumpy flock to bed. :hug8:
That's the situation here. Just because we humans sleep in that room doesn't make it any less MILTON'S ROOM! If we turn the light on in that room when we go to bed at night, Milty will yell "TURN THE LIGHTS OUT" until it happens. :jawdrop1: Then after the lights go out he'll say "ABOUT TIME"... :sour:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
That's the situation here. Just because we humans sleep in that room doesn't make it any less MILTON'S ROOM! If we turn the light on in that room when we go to bed at night, Milty will yell "TURN THE LIGHTS OUT" until it happens. :jawdrop1: Then after the lights go out he'll say "ABOUT TIME"... :sour:
Wow, I love Milton stories! :laugh: