• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I know nothing about air purifiers

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Can't find that model in the states? Do you have the phone number for the guy you talk to? I would love to find something like that but larger room. Thanks
I don't have his number but I can give you his email, if you want it?

RotonSan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Roton San
Before you buy an air purifier, try some simple, common-sense steps to reduce indoor air pollution. Begin by vacuuming often, banning smoking indoors, minimizing use of candles and wood fires, and using exhaust fans in kitchen, bath, and laundry areas. Most air purifier will remove odor and dust effectively and even extra chemical. Ideally you should a buy a purifier whose capacity is larger than your room size and more importantly you should avoid dedicated ozone generators entirely if you have pulmonary problems or allergy symptoms. If you want a purifier and don't have a forced-air system, consider a large portable. At artistsupplysource.com you will find some good quality air purifiers with reasonable price.

Uppingham

Real Name
John
I have recently tried out the Sinomax SF300 Photo-Catalytic air purifier, which I bought from a trade show/fair for a decent price a while back now, but it has worked really well - better than expected from somebody who didn't really know much about air purifiers then.
It has got a Pre-filter which mainly filters dust and pollen and there is a HEPA filter which is pretty much standard nowadays. But it also has a UV light with titanium mesh filter, which I thought was pretty neat because UV light filtration is usually seen on the more expensive and larger air purifiers.
At the moment, it is doing a pretty good job in a city troubled by air pollution (Shanghai) for when the air quality is really bad my nose becomes itchy and the sneezes get to me, but with the SF300 this isn't the case and my nose is relieved from the itchiness.
Another reason why I bought the Sinomax was because of the special design it has, where it can be placed into a car's cup holder which I thought as pretty useful due to all the toxic fumes a car produces. Also, it is small in design which is pretty useful for use in the office with even the most cluttered desk (I am quite unorganized). It is also convenient, for it comes with a stand and the base is circular and so rotation is possible (around 160 degrees) meaning the purifier can be placed on shelves or on the floor and clean air will still be blown in your direction.
It has 3 fan speeds and on the highest setting it can be hardly heard at night making it perfect for bedroom use at night due to the Ultra Quiet technology it has.
I haven't tried out any other purifier apart from the SF300 but I can genuinely say that this is THE purifier to have!

JordanWood

Real Name
Jordan
An air purifier will certainly help you. Homedics offer a wide range of products that would fit the bill (no pun intended)

kala_bunga

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Samantha
What do you recommend for someone that does have a forced-air system? I've thought about purchasing a high end replacement filter for a purifier with great reviews and attaching it to the vent that hot air comes out of in my cieling. I'm in the basement, and it can get stuffy even though it's a 2 bedroom and there's a window that opens in each room. I've been feeling dry and slightly itchy now as the weather has cooled and the upstairs tenants have put the heat on daily. This is only the second month that we;ve lived here. There's a brown headed poi, dusky conure, two persian cats, and a 70ishlb 1yr old cane corso/labxpit as well as my girlfriend and myself and the basement suite is about 750sqft, laminate floors. The watertank and furnace(but not the controls for it) are in a room in my suite.

Before this place, we lived in a house shared with a couple that didnt disclose that they smoke indoors(lied initally) and they were constantly fighting with each other and throwing things and screaming which was quite intrusive considering my anxious nature at times, inability to ignore physical violence in my home, and their inability to respect my animals, girlfriend, belongings, or our space. They stole from us (several thousand dollars of personal belongings that I simply do not have any means to replace) on top of it all. We lasted there about a month before hightailing it out after a $800 vet bill that could have been prevented if I didn't move us into there, payment of $700 for an item they had bought from me and had promised to pay in a payment plan, didnt and then got violent towards me when I followed up about payment, and nearly $200 borrowed between each of them (he and she) between my girlfriend and myself once tallied up... Along with so many personal belongings that I am quite embarrassed to even list them all were also stolen.

They lease a 4br house and said they wanted to "help" my crew and me out after our previous suite was sold to be developed and the suite flooded twice while still within the notice-period before I needed to move but the landlords refused to do the needed repairs on an already not up to code suite since the unit had been sold. Mold developed and while packing I discovered more mold sources and realized there was no fire alarm and lots of dust and exposed crumbling dry wall.

Finally we have a fairly well taken care of suite, but there is likely another price to be paid due to the poor living conditions of our last two places: health. I'm concerned about the damage done to my bird's health, am constantly panicking about conclusions I've drawn from other people's horror stories, and am extremely tapped financially and am still paying off the last few previous vet bills and am nowhere near able to replace all the items that were stolen. The amount of stolen items interferes drastically with day to day life from cooking, hygeine, sleeping, air quality, clothing, hobbies, and daily necessities(as well as non necessities!).

My intention is to revamp my pet care routine for the birds especially, but also the dog and cats and improve on all of our health and sanity....

I have the option of bringing my two fids to the vet for a basic check-up, without the means to pay for any tests or procedures that may be recomended... Or, I can spend that money on an air purifier and hope that helps with the damage that the mold and smoke likely caused with the hope that if either fid urgently needed vet care that by then I'll have the money for the initial payment of any prescribed procedures etc in the future.

Edited to add that I think I should have posted this in my own thread. Sorry. How do I fix this?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Edited to add that I think I should have posted this in my own thread. Sorry. How do I fix this?
Do you already have a thread, or do you want this to start your thread?

Matt

kala_bunga

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Samantha
I don't already have a threat. I meant to type a short reply and a brief question...I rambled on and now don't think a huge personal rant of mine added to someone else's thread is very considerate... So feel free to make my post into a separate thread if you think that'd be more appropriate. =)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is fine here, I just misunderstood and thought that you wanted it moved.

Matt

Robert Loblaw

Real Name
Bob
Just about any air purifier will probably help to some degree. But the cheaper models sold locally at the big box stores don't seem to last. I burned out a few of those before getting serious about finding a long-term solution. These days there are plenty of quality brands of air purifiers including Austin, Alen Air, and Blueair - to mention a few. Most models offered by these manufacturers are on the pricey side. But they're larger units that process more air in less time and they all do it quite effectively.

TrevorNoodle

You are not alone! I have been tirelessly searching for air purifiers that are worth buying as well. There is a great review here: Best Air Purifier – Jen Reviews . The Allen Breathesmart caught my attention due to someone sharing this review with me. I bought one, and I do not regret my purchase one bit! This air purifier works great!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Did anyone mention IQ Air? That's what I have and have been happy with it!!

mazji

Real Name
jiten

Steven Haugh

Real Name
Steven Haugh
Whenever we think of installing a purifier system or buying a cleaning equipment, the type of filter should be considered with a greater priority. Dirt, dust particles, mold spores, pollen and pet dander in the indoor air can cause problems. This would be serious if our family has allergies or asthma. I find it really useful to equip the purifier with the HEPA filters to trap these pollutants. HEPA is an abbreviation for High-Efficiency Particulate Absorption, and the filters are made of fiberglass. HEPA filters in air purifiers offer immense benefits including the removal of bacteria and microorganisms from the sensitive environment.

I wanna fly

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Christian
I have 2 Hunters. They both have the ionizer feature which can be turned off. They have Hepa filters which can be vacuumed rather than replace them every time they fill up. I got the first one at a thrift store for $15. I went back to the store today and couldn't believe my luck...another one for $20. I also run humidifiers.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have 2 honeywells. They have lasted.... at least 3 years so far, in the bird room. We buy everything with HEPA filters. The pre-filter is covered with feathers/ dust so I know it helps. We vacuum it about every other day.

Basically they're just a motor and filters, I can't see buying the more expensive ones - unless maybe you need a bigger motor for a larger room?

The rest of our house seems really dusty right now, I have heard that "they all are" and I've heard "it's because it's Florida" but I think at least part is the remodeling dust. I am looking into buying another one for the great room. Haven't done research yet, I might want one that's quieter. These don't seem noisy, but when you turn them off you realize there was a certain level of sound.