• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Today I find that Eloys ring was not fit too 100%. Se pictures. So I made a fast decision to remove the ring.
I hate myself for holding him in a towel, but I have no other choice if I want to have my fingers intact.
The ring was hurting him, and it have sharp edges to his foot. And that was a very safe ring in aluminium.

So now I'm sad because he still loves me a lot and are sitting here sleeping on my shoulder.
I would have feel a little bit better if he had hate me, because that is what I deserve right now.

And no foot ring any longer. :( Please tell me that, that is something good.
And no, I don't want to chip him because of the risk of plucking feathers and the stress for doing it.
I hope he never run away now.. :(

DSCF3409.jpg
DSCF3411.jpg
DSCF3412.jpg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think if it was hurting him you did the right thing. You could always have another one that fits properly made I spose but I think if anyone finds him they'd either be in for a fight or have a loving big green guy that just wants to get back to momma.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree, if it was hurting him it needed to come off. Don't feel bad about toweling him. Birds are very forgiving. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This was the fit before what ever happened today.
DSCF0259.jpg

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: J.T., sometimes doing the right thing isnt always the nice thing...ya did what was best for Eloy...I'm sure he knows it too;)

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Rings do more harm than good. The only bird I've had that was banded was Zetta (Caique) and I had it removed at her first vet visit and although she didn't like the process, she seemed very happy with the result.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think if it was hurting him you did the right thing. You could always have another one that fits properly made I spose but I think if anyone finds him they'd either be in for a fight or have a loving big green guy that just wants to get back to momma.
Thank you! :heart:
I agree, if it was hurting him it needed to come off. Don't feel bad about toweling him. Birds are very forgiving. :)
Thank you! :heart: Yes very forgiving. And that is also sad. :(
:hug8: :hug8: I agree, you did the right thing.
Thank you! :heart:
:hug8: J.T., sometimes doing the right thing isnt always the nice thing...ya did what was best for Eloy...I'm sure he knows it too;)
Thank you! :heart: Yes perhaps he understand that tomorrow he have a new kind of freedom. Or perhaps he feel naked? :p
I had my conures band removed, I think eloy feels lots better. don't beat yourself up :hug8:
Thank you! :heart: I have removed a SS ring before that my Meyer had. I was so happy that Eloy had a safe aluminium ring, until now..
Rings do more harm than good. The only bird I've had that was banded was Zetta (Caique) and I had it removed at her first vet visit and although she didn't like the process, she seemed very happy with the result.
Thank you! :heart: And yes, now I agree with that. I order Eloy with this kind of ring, but the next bird I will have with no ring at all from the beginning.
I don't think I will ever risk that have something on my birds foot that hurts them, and I'm also happy that nothing bad happened today more then he was showing me that something was wrong with the ring. (He is a very good boy! :heart: )

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Aww, I'm sure the short moment of discomfort he felt when taking off the ring was minor compared to the pain he'd feel if he had it on for longer. You did the right thing!! :hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I was so worried when I saw the title of this thread. So glad you are both ok. You did right thing. Reconsider getting a chip. Both of my boys have a chip. Neither bothered with site, plucked, etc.........it was a non event with them both and gives me peace of mind. But if a makes you more comfortable then rebanding is a possibility but it may not be as safe as chip.

Completely understand how you feel......there was a feeling of security in having the band........my boys have bands and chips.........vet is trying to talk me out of bands.........but I feel double secure

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You did the right thing - it did look too tight. Must have got pinched somehow.

And you scared me too wondering what happened to Eloy! :jawdrop1:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, the title originally scared me too :scared4: but then I actually read it :cool7: Eloys a really big boy being a Siy Maxi so I bet he just crunched it with his beak.
Otherwise I'd hate to think how it got bent like that. I don't think any of the fids I've had over the years had a band. Ferd and Nerd were sold to me in 78 so pretty sure were wild caught, which makes it even more amazing to me how easy going and gentle they were considering what they went through.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
All of mine have been removed. They forgive. :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Most of mine took two people and two pliers. Gryphon hurt his leg not long ago by catching his little blue plastic one on something. He had a few touch and go days there but is all healed and doing fine now. That one was pretty easy and just opened up by uncurling it. Not the norm for larger, but often found on smaller birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.