• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Infertile after a certain age?

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So I'm speaking to a breeder now who is trying to find "retirement homes" for her males. Apparently they are infertile because they have gotten old.
She says they are 9.

Do male lovebirds (and females?) get infertile after 9ish years?
I've heard they can live to 15-20 so 9 just seems a bit soon to me?

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
In my experience, male lovies start to lose their fertility at about 9-10 years of age. Hens also become more prone to egg binding issues when they are older. I would normally retire my pairs at 8 years old. They deserve an "empty nest" for a few years, just like we do. :lol:

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Birds never go infertile, they continue to produce sexual hormones all their lives .
Not true. Hens are only hatched with whatever number of eggs they will have for their lifetime, just like women. :D Males however, of some species...will go on to have several mates if given the opportunity. This can be seen with African greys as sometimes the male just begins to ward her off when she can no longer produce. He can even get downright nasty and can kill her if they are not separated. Then he will take on or look for another more suitable female. Some birds do mate for life, but still slow down as seen with macaws as they age. It has nothing to do with diet. It has to do with the fact that younger, stronger birds make better parents and produce healthier chicks. In simplest terms.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have heard of a ringneck that was still producing chicks at the age of 31 years old - and they have an expected lifespan of 30 years. Don't know what age this hen lived to, nor the age of her mate(s).

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I don't have any experience with ringnecks or african greys. However, I do agree that hens only have a certain amount of eggs they can produce. And in the smaller birds, I have had the males get to where at about age 7 or so they only fertilize a couple of eggs instead of all, and so on until they are about 9-10 and then only one egg here and there. By smaller I am talking about linnies and lovies. My senegals were still producing at 15 and 20. :)