• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 Orphaned Mannikins

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohh I'm so sorry Amy. You have a big heart. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks so much everyone :hug8:

Here is a pic of the little chap with the problem leg. Its a little difficult to see, but I've circled where the lump is. Its quite noticeable when you have a proper look. I was very careful to gently stretch the leg out and its definitely bent there and not some kind of growth. You can also see how the leg is being held, the little thing definitely isn't keen on using it

IMG_0619.JPG

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I've been reading up on some rehab sites and apparently a fracture high up on the leg near the body cannot be splinted, and the bird should just be left on a flat surface to keep it as quiet as possible

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor little gaffer..hope he will be ok...My society finch, Fletcher had a similar bum leg...He found it very difficult to perch..We built a platform perch for him... th_thPicture214-1.jpg th_thPicture213-1.jpg It looks exactly like Fletchers leg looked..poor little gaffer.

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Awwwww hey Amy! Glad to hear you're taking care of these sweet little babies! Pics Pics Pics! :D
So Sorry to hear of the other two of the brood, such a shame too. I'm really excited to see these little guys grow up! Keep us freshly posted!!! ;)

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I couldn't bring myself to post anything yesterday. The little baby with the broken leg died on Sunday night. :( It was very unexpected as he was strong and eating well. I know that in the wild, the weak or injured birds have little to no chance of making it. I just figured that with me they have a much greater chance of surviving. I guess Nature just has too much of a strong hold over things.

Thanks everyone for the continued support. I'm fighting to make sure that I don't have any more bad news to post regarding my remaining 2 babies

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I noticed that the first baby that died had a almost pimple-like bump just at the base of its tail (on top, not underneath by the vent). I've seen now that both my remaining babies have one each as well, and I'm not sure if they should be cause for concern, or if it is something normal. Anyone heard of something like this? I will try get pics of them later!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That would be the preen/oil gland, its normal. I hope the remaining babies do well. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh no...I am sorry. Poor wee ones. :sadhug2:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
That would be the preen/oil gland, its normal. I hope the remaining babies do well. :hug8:
Oh my, thanks so much @Birdbabe ! The gland COMPLETELY slipped my mind! :confused: Haha well I'm terribly relieved that it was only a slightly dim moment on my part and not something to be worried about!! :hug8:

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Awwwww sweety. Shame, I'm sorry to hear about the other baby Amy! I believe that the strongest two will do great in your care! Good Luck Amy! How are the babies doing today?

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
They are doing well this morning! They are such greedy little things ;) Its a bit chilly this morning so they are all cuddled up in their nest! I will get some pics of them later :)