• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Funny Green Thing

Despicio

Walking the driveway
I got my Jardine's (Brid) last Wednesday and he's settling in well. He's a bit odd but from my experience of Jardine's, that's pretty normal. The poor thing has only one tail feather at the moment and is also missing several primaries from one wing so he can't fly properly. I inspected him while toweling him for a blood sample and general health check and he at least does have new feathers growing in so hopefully he won't take too long to fix himself.

I'm a bit perplexed as to which subspecies he is. He is two years old so he's still colouring up which makes it harder to tell. He weighs 260g so he's the correct sort of weight for a P.g.gulielmi and his markings are more red than orange but I can't help thinking that his beak might be a little bit undersized. There is some variation in beak size and shape within each subspecies but he might just be a cross with a P.g. massaicus. Does anyone have any input?

His claws were like razor sharp talons when he arrived. I didn't want to put him through the stress of a nail trim straight away so I spent a couple of days getting shredded. I thought my senegal was bad but the extra 100g makes a big difference! :wideyed:

Here he is

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
He's gorgeous! I've always thought the Jardines were the prettiest if pois. Can't help with the subspecies though.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I dont know much about the species..but your baby is gorgeous
  • :xflove:! congrats....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congrats he is beautiful!

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Beautiful! Jardines are great. :D
He looks like p.g. massaicus to me.

I'm not sure what the subspecies normally weigh but he could be a very small one?
Maybe a greater/lesser hybrid.

Despicio

Walking the driveway
Thanks all :)

Beautiful! Jardines are great. :D
He looks like p.g. massaicus to me.

I'm not sure what the subspecies normally weigh but he could be a very small one?
Maybe a greater/lesser hybrid.

That's one of the pictures I've been staring at. It's a shame that the massaicus isn't in profile. I did find other photos of massaicus for comparison and in some their beaks look smaller than brid's and others they look similar. They're supposed to be from 280g up with males being heavier. I do think that he might well be a cross, probably with P.g.g because they're the most common subspecies. I'll just have too wait a year or two to see how his colours change, if he gets darker wings and a lot of red then I'll know he's mostly P.g.g. and if not then I'll know that he's a cross or an undersized massaicus.

As I was typing this, I left the room for a minute to check Brid's shades of green and came back to find my senegal had typed this "2277777777777777777777777777"
Maybe that's a code for the answer :lol:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
What a stunner

solo

Real Name