• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The journey to learning this boy's personality.

Revika

Strolling the yard
ow.jpg nokcha(2)_04-19-2014.jpg Let me just start by saying, good lord. It's currently day 2 and he doesn't seem to want to even go inside his cage unless we (my fiance and I) are stubborn about it so that he'll finally eat his food (I started off with what the Parrot Place was feeding him, which are pellets and "Avian Science Super seeds"... trying very slowly to wean him more onto the pellets and fruits/veg). For the most part, he will continually come to the top of the cage and fly (his wings are clipped so he goes downwards, I will be allowing them to grow) if we don't pick him up. This may also be because his day cage hasn't arrived yet (it's coming in tomorrow and I took the day off of work just so I can bring it in and try to put it together ASAP along with his play gym) and so he is currently in his bedtime cage so it's a bit more cramped because I have a few of his toys in there.

He seems to want to be with us fairly often, but if we have him on our finger too long (I didn't even think a minute was long but apparently to him it is) he will start gnawing. See pic, there's definitely a few more on each hand since I took that one. He's not biting to draw blood but he has broken the skin a couple times and a few are bruised. I want to say he feels like he has a better chance at having free reign over us so he's trying very hard to show us he's the boss. We've been using the technique the Parrot Place's couple were using on him and his siblings (gently moving the beak away and saying "gentle" or "no") but a few times he will chirp as if to say HOW DARE YOU and go right back to it with more fervor. I'm thinking if the moving the beak away doesn't show any signs of helping in a couple weeks, we will have to employ the "put him on the ground immediately and ignore him for a few minutes".

Today was a good stepping stone in that I have his "play area" (a small dog bed with a baby blanket on it and some chewables and a couple toys) set up and he actually entertained himself for a good hour and a half or so before trying to get to us.

EDIT;
He also seems to prefer sleeping by hanging onto the cage with his toes and beak?? Haha.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sure is cute...for birds that spend a lot of time outside the cage, I find it is a good idea to make sure food and water is available for them outside of the cage as well as in.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome. Once you have everything set up it may get better. Lots to get used to

pinkyisblue

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have found that offering a favorite treat when putting my bird in her cage makes things easy for everyone.

Her treat of choice being banana chips. She loves them so much she will even behave for my husband if she thinks shes going to get one.

I let her see it, and she knows if shes good and does what I want (even if she isnt sure what it is) that she will get her treat.​

Revika

Strolling the yard
I have been experimenting, it seems he gets most excited when I'm about to give him some seeds which seems to be his staple diet with pellets. I'll have to buy some fruit and see if he goes crazy over any of them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a cutie! :xflove:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What a gorgeous little greenie!!!!

Some birds may not like their cages because the cages are boring, or maybe the door is too small. Both my conures have good sized cages, both have different toys in their cages as well as different foods. Besides food, both would prefer being with me than in their cages! :laugh:

As far as biting when he's been on you for a certain period of time... he could be getting bored! It may help to keep toys and treats on hand at all times and keep his beak busy with something other than your flesh! Likewise, keep him out for short periods, and put him back before he starts nibbling and biting on your flesh.

He's not trying to show you "he's the boss". Parrots are not dominating creatures. They don't go out of their way to put others beneath them. They are, however, very curious and inquisitive birds and often bite as a form of communication. Birds don't come out of the egg knowing how to bite, they learn it. The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs, so it helps to try and avoid situations where he may bite you! Teach him new behaviors that don't involve biting!

A great behavior to teach new birds is targeting! Target training, aka touch training, can be an easy behavior to teach and if you can do it right, is hands off and you could avoid getting bitten. Once a bird learns to target, you can then teach other behaviors, both hands on and hands off!

As for sleeping while hanging onto the side of the cage? It may help to put a perch higher up, although birds can lock their toes into position and not fall while sleeping. Some birds even enjoy sleeping while hanging upside down! :roflmao:

Revika

Strolling the yard
04-30-2014 (7).jpg
Sorry it took me a bit to respond, been mostly skimming and figuring out his breakfast menu haha. Here's a pic from a couple days ago. You can see his pinched foot from when he was being reared. He loves chewing the blanket now, mostly looking for my fingers that are holding him up. Not sure if he realizes those are my fingers underneath the blanket or not. He's also felt quite comfy on his back lately, mostly on the blanket or on our bed with me and my fiance. :)

The "bored" theory doesn't seem to hold up atm, he's mostly bitten right after stepping up. Luckily we seem to have curbed that so he doesn't do that lately! I think also maybe he didn't feel very stable on my index finger, so instead I give him my thumb and I think that feels more sturdy to him. I've picked up that if I'm moving too quickly or towards something he doesn't like, he'll let me know by chomping down but no blood now, at least.

He seemed to adapt okay to broccoli, carrots and squash. I'm trying raw kale and boiled corn on the cob past couple days. Do you guys cook your kale prior to feeding?