• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quakers and Cockatiels

ShannonLB

Strolling the yard
I currently own 3 cockatiels 6 budgies and have been considering adopting a baby Quaker,I've heard that Quakers in terms if care are a step up from the tiels and I've also heard that the Quakers can be quite noisy,my tiels have their noisy times such as morning&night or if things get really busy around the house but I'm wondering in comparison are Quakers much noisier?or is it comparable to my other birds? And would the Quaker socialize well with my other feathered babies?
Thank you for any advice or tips you may have :)

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
I have 2 quakers, a tiel and 3 budgies. YES, a quaker is much louder - to me anyway and prob because I have 2 and they set each other off. in my house, the budgies never shut up till dark, chitter chattef alllllllllllllll day but ard relatively quiet compared to tiel who has a verg shrill screech snd whistle, which he uses throughouf the day - because he csn. The quakers have a loder but deeper scream, I personally dont hear thd birds (can tune out) but I cant stand loud tv or music or people talking too loud, so really it is what you consider loud.
Do they get on? My tiel loves my rehome quaker, but Kai doesnt really return the love. The baby quaker is just learning where he fits in and the tiel is inquisite of him but I wouldnt say they were buddies, yet! But there is no aggression between tiel and either quaker but Kai is not overly fond of Murphy and will chase him off.
PARROTS SHOULD ALWAYS BE SUPERVISED WHEN OUT OF CAGE. EVEN BONDED/FRIENDLY BIRDS HAVE INJURED THEIR FRIENDS. Mine are always supervised.

purl1

Sprinting down the street
I have 2 cockatiels and 3 Quakers. The Quakers are much louder than the cockatiels. Although there are 3 of them so that could be it. They are quieter when they are not bored. :dance4: Lately my female cockatiel has been extra vocal.
I have only had the Quakers 3 months so they have not been out of cage the same time as the cockatiels , I have no idea how they would react. They have been in the same room as them and none of the birds reacted in any way to the other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you live in an apartment I would not get a Quaker because of their loudness.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiko (Quaker) has his moments.. he isn’t constantly loud, but he *can* get loud when he wants to. I wouldn’t take the risk of letting a Quaker out with such small birds like Budgies, they can seriously hurt/injure them having such a strong beak, but that is me.