• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our newest...

Parrot Examiner

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Beth Ralston
So the OH and I went to his mom's house for the evening to be around for the Easter festivities. We saw the new baby horse and watched him play, then rode my buddy (Rebel is his name) and she mentioned having baby chicks. I had totally forgotten she was getting chicks for the farm! I asked her about seeing them and she said one had a lame foot and she wasn't sure it would make it. I asked to take a look and sure enough, the poor thing's foot is useless :(
He gets around well enough, he doesn't seem to realize his foot is different, but the other chicks do notice. As a result, they take advantage of his poor balance. He's not getting bigger as fast as the others and I offered to take him in to give him a chance. So Bumbles will come back with us tomorrow for some singled-out TLC and if he does okay, he can come back. I'll get some pictures soon, but if anyone knows how to help the little guy out, I would love to hear ideas. I know he's not a parrot, but he's a bird and I fell in love with him instantly. It only took 20 minutes to convince Hubby to let me help Bumbles out ;)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Aww, that's so nice of you to take in the poor little guy. :hug8: Can't wait to see some pics, he must be super cute!

Parrot Examiner

Real Name
Beth Ralston
He is super adorable. It is also worth mentioning that my mother in law said the foot was swollen and red, but that has cleared up. The leg and toes don't move.

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
If it's infected, you'll probably want it amputated. At that size, antibiotics could cause severe damage to her. But if you go that route, luckily most chickens can live long happy lives with one missing or useless foot. Good luck. I'm going through a similar situation with another baby chick.

Parrot Examiner

Real Name
Beth Ralston
I spoke to a friend of mine who was raised on a farm and has had experience with it. She said separate him, give him his fighting chance and he will do one of two things. 1) without the competition, he'll strengthen and grow or 2) He will stop eating and give up. If he does fight for survival (which he seems to be doing) she said she's seen a few in her life grow to be healthy happy hens and roosters with a little limp. :dance5:

Parrot Examiner

Real Name
Beth Ralston
Well, Bumbles is home with us for now. He's settled in nicely with all needs easily accessible. He chirped his downy head off half the way home before falling asleep. He bobbled around the container for a bit, found his food and water, then went back to sleep. Tomorrow we'll see what can be done with his leg.

Parrot Examiner

Real Name
Beth Ralston
Update on Bumbles:
He can move the leg above the joint, but below the joint seems numb. He fell into his plate of water and I was worried about him drowning or aspirating, so I give him water by spon about every hour, he still has the shallow plate, in case we're gone, but there's only enough water to get the tip of his beak. He's chirping, moving, and eating on his own and he pecks at my hand when I pick him up for his water. My mother in law said she is happy he is in good hands here and even though he'll be spoiled for a farm chick, at least it looks like he'll make it. :dancing: :dance5: :dance4:
He does stand up and try to move the upper part of the leg, and I've worked that joint to see if maybe he gets something out of it. So far, nothing, he just bumbles around. But he's doing great considering. Thought I would share

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: awww~~ poor da baby...happy you took in the chick..thanks
  • :hug8:~