• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rocky had bad night fright

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Rocky had bad night fright the other night. I was in bed reading and heard him freaking out in his cage. i rushed to him as fast as i could, ripped out his blankies and he was at the bottom of his cage running around in circles. (his way of showing FEAR) i open the door to his cage and scooped him up in my hand. i promptly got a bite on my hand from him. i should know better then that. i held him and cuddle him to me until he was calmer, then put him back into his cage on his favorite sleeping perch. i covered his cage quietly while i sang his good night song. (yes, he has a good night song ) i sat quietly near his cage and listened to him as he settled down. he was quiet for the next 10 minutes and i heard him muttering to himself. he talks himself to sleep. :goodnight2:
the next morning i got up and uncovered his cage, we always have our morning chats while i'm getting my ice tea and getting my meds down. he seemed fine, bright and chirper. i open his cage door and he came down to it's level, got his morning drink of water and a little breakfast of seeds. he came out on his own speed and time. he has his wings clipped very short due to his partial blindness. he is very good boy about staying to his cage top. later that day i was in the kitchen and heard him screeching and screaming like he was hurting. around corner i came and scooped him up again. another bite to my hand. i should learn not to scoop him up in a rush. there was blood on my hand, not a lot but enough to frighten me. i took him into the bathroom (easiest place to work with him and not have him run away). he has small cut less then 1/8 " long under his right wing that was still bleeding. i did best i could to wash it out gently with water and hibacleanse. he hates being wet period and screeched and screamed the whole time. (see my profile to why he hates being wet.) i sat and cuddled with him while he dried his feathers out. we have a deal as long as i don't try to touch his back he will allow himself to be held and have his head scritched gently.
i have been watching that cut carefully, washing it gently with warm water and a little tiny bit of betadine. i don't want to disturb the scab. it's not infected at all but he is sure picking at it. i have been giving him a gentle warm shower with spray bottle daily. (he does not like that at all) just enough to dampen those feathers but not soaking him. the last couple of days he has been picking at it alot with screeching as he does it. He is also moulting big time and there are feather sheaths coming thru the scab. i'm pretty sure it's ITCHY as all get out, just like people scabs, they itch as they heal.
he is eating like horse and seems to be fine but just uncomfortable. because of his age and his partial blindness i really don't want to put a 'E' collar on him. but i'm worried too.
does anybody have any ideas on how to make him a little more comfortable ? the nearest avian vet is over 100 mies from me.
rocky'smom and :tiel2: rocky

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep it moist with vitamin E oil, while it heals, not so itchy and irritating. :heart: :hug8:

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
Awwww, sorry your baby had a fright ad has a booboo :(
...just keep doing what your doing and keep a good eye on it and look for any behavioral changes, hopeful he'll leave it alone enough to heal on its own

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
Personally, when mine have a fright, the last thing I am going to do is grab them and add to it. I just talk gently as they reorientate. Your song you do would do that.

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
My lorri sometimes squeaks and plays around at night. :grumpy:I'm so tired when she wakes me up! :shocked4:Luckily she doesn't wake up the other birds at night. What a :naughty: Bird I have! I hope everything goes the way it always was for you and your bird!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i talked to my brother tonight about Easter plans. he use to work Vet Hospital and is willing to take a look at Rocky's ouchie tomorrow after dinner. i hope Rocky will copperate with Uncle looking at his booboo. Rocky is not fond of men and can be very nippy toward them. a friend of mine stopped over one night and while i was in the bathroom, i heard this big biker dude screaming like little girl. there was a few choice words and then this "your cockatoo just bite me....." i came out of the bathroom to see what the damages were. a tiny bleeding bite and a biker dude acting like he had been mortal wounded. i explained to him that if Rocky was cockatoo, we would be leaving ASAP for the nearest emergency room, for stitches. all he needed was good wash and band-aid. LOL.. :hehepink: :hehepink: :hehepink:
his wife is my best friend and she laughed until she was in tears. :loltears:
rocky's mom

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
i talked to my brother tonight about Easter plans. he use to work Vet Hospital and is willing to take a look at Rocky's ouchie tomorrow after dinner. i hope Rocky will copperate with Uncle looking at his booboo. Rocky is not fond of men and can be very nippy toward them. a friend of mine stopped over one night and while i was in the bathroom, i heard this big biker dude screaming like little girl. there was a few choice words and then this "your cockatoo just bite me....." i came out of the bathroom to see what the damages were. a tiny bleeding bite and a biker dude acting like he had been mortal wounded. i explained to him that if Rocky was cockatoo, we would be leaving ASAP for the nearest emergency room, for stitches. all he needed was good wash and band-aid. LOL.. :hehepink: :hehepink: :hehepink:
his wife is my best friend and she laughed until she was in tears. :loltears:
rocky's mom
:rofl: :coffeescreen: LOL such a funny story!!! I would be laughing till I cried too!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well my brother came over and he said to keep doing what I have been doing to clean his ouchie. 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide but instead cotton swabs, use syringe to quirt the solution around and into the ouchie. it was bleeding again after my brother left. so rocky and i went into the bathroom and put pressure on the bleeding part with a number of bites to my hand. rocky hates to have his body touched by anybody even me. he screeched and screamed but i got it clean up again. We had some good cuddles afterwards while he dried out.
hope everybody had a Happy Easter.
rocky'smom