• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mates plucking, greencheek

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Giggie who has always plucked a lot during nesting season has started to let her feathers come back in. But i believe she is simply working on Carlton's now. I have a divider i can put into their cage but i really hate to since his life revolves around her. He does not want human interaction. Is this a breeding behavior? Do they need alone time? Would a walk in flight help? He was my most beautifully feathered greenie never having feather issues. We have been to the vet recently and have to go back for a follow-up in two weeks.l image.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Some females pluck some of their feathers, usually the chest feathers, to help line the nest. It is usually the down feathers but some pluck more than that. I know that some females also pluck feathers from the male. Does he seem to be in pain when she plucks him? Considering the time of the year, it is most likely caused be her hormones as opposed to being a health issue.

Matt

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
No they don't seem to be hurting each other and it looks like they are shredding the feathers as there are little pieces like if you removed pine needles from a branch. Watching them on the video cam during the day they just appear to be calmly preening. I have their cage stacked with toys and put the paper back in the bottom. Poopers always keeping me busy with something.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Are they clipped? It looks like it in the picture but I don't want to assume... Flying is the only way they can dissipate stress and sexual hormones from their bloodstream as well as provide exercise and entertainment - plus, GCC are fabulous fliers, the kind that does it just for the joy of it so, if they are clipped, they might be stressed out and the reason for her plucking.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
No they aren't clipped. Giggie loves to fly and does laps in the room. Carlton prefers to stay in his little area but does fly in that area.