• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my budgie pregnant?

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Iknow its not called pregnant but Idont know what its accually called and if Ipost this forum in the wrong place, forgive me...
Anyway my darlind Darwin has been accting strange latly, she has gone agressive toward things around her and can randomly start attacking stuff (lucklly not a living thing) She has more energy and fly round a lot more.But when she's sitting still she fluffls up a lot she's been doing this for about 3 days now and I found a nest they created last week that Itook away.
So I'm wondering are these signs thats she's pregnant and if so, what should I do?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It could be...you should google on line for egg binding symptoms and signs. If they are building a nest, then I would definitely let them have it..or put a folded piece of paper towel on the grate for them to get comfy..provide extra cuttle bone and calci rich foods such as broccoli and kale..sometimes you can see a little swelling if you look toward the vent. If she has not laid in a few days, off to the vet

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
It could be...you should google on line for egg binding symptoms and signs. If they are building a nest, then I would definitely let them have it..or put a folded piece of paper towel on the grate for them to get comfy..provide extra cuttle bone and calci rich foods such as broccoli and kale..sometimes you can see a little swelling if you look toward the vent. If she has not laid in a few days, off to the vet
Thnank you and I have looked it up, but it's hard to find anything determinating if to say so, I can find thoe that they usually get more agressive and has more energy also that they poo bigger and not as oftain and what I saw coming out of her but resently it was 3 times as big that my male budgie kiwi would ever get out :/

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it does sound like she is getting ready to lay an egg. If she goes more than about 4 more days without laying then take her to a vet

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
it does sound like she is getting ready to lay an egg. If she goes more than about 4 more days without laying then take her to a vet
Would you recomend me to get them a nest, I've herd that some budgies can "hold the egg in" and coulse some problems because they cant find a nest to lay them?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If you are sure she is going to lay an egg and it sounds like they are...maybe just a nice small box..or a low bowl lined with paper towels...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Thank you! :)
also are you prepared for babies? you know you can buy false eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com and sub the real eggs with the false ones. also please keep an eye on that female and promise that you will take her to an avian vet if this continues as she could get egg bound and that is a killer. @petiteoiseau

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
also are you prepared for babies? you know you can buy false eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com and sub the real eggs with the false ones. also please keep an eye on that female and promise that you will take her to an avian vet if this continues as she could get egg bound and that is a killer. @petiteoiseau
If we say information wise then yes, I am ready, if we say, suplyment wise then no. But if needed the suplyment shouldnt be a problem to atain. :)

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Three days? Nope, not an egg. They produce an egg every other day so, if she was getting ready to lay, she would have done it on the second day, nest or no nest, mate or no mate. But if she is fluffed up and acting strange, there could be something there not right (like egg yolk peritonitis, dystocia, ovary cyst, plain old infection and a million other things that could go wrong).

ShinyTimeyWimey

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
I had a female budgie for many years... What your describing sounds like typical spring hormones. Do you cover her at night? How many budgies do you have? If there are more females than males, u want to remove the extra females, I've heard stories of hormonal female budgies beating up the competition. I always had more males, so I never had that problem. But every year around this time Nouba would get loud and bitey. She would shred everything in sight. She would of herself up and sit in the corner, but not in a sick way, in a pms'y way... If she was egg binding, you'd be able to tell. She'd be lethargic and not pooping at all. Generally they do lay every other day or so if they are going to lay. Nouba never had a nest, so I always found them on the bottom tray of the cage. They don't need a neat to lay though. Also, whenever she got like this it was time for a major cage remodel. I would switch out tips and perches, move stuff around, even move the cage. Budgies only procreate if they feel like they're in safe, well known territory. If they feel like all the sudden they've down eight days away and now they have to find a clean water source and food sources and safe spots again, the hormones subside for a bit since it wouldn't be safe for them to bring Chicks into the world... Just my two cents :)
Oh and... You may want to start using a perch to get her to step up in the cage.... Nouba always found the most tender spots to bite, but then when she was out she was fine...

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
I had a female budgie for many years... What your describing sounds like typical spring hormones. Do you cover her at night? How many budgies do you have? If there are more females than males, u want to remove the extra females, I've heard stories of hormonal female budgies beating up the competition. I always had more males, so I never had that problem. But every year around this time Nouba would get loud and bitey. She would shred everything in sight. She would of herself up and sit in the corner, but not in a sick way, in a pms'y way... If she was egg binding, you'd be able to tell. She'd be lethargic and not pooping at all. Generally they do lay every other day or so if they are going to lay. Nouba never had a nest, so I always found them on the bottom tray of the cage. They don't need a neat to lay though. Also, whenever she got like this it was time for a major cage remodel. I would switch out tips and perches, move stuff around, even move the cage. Budgies only procreate if they feel like they're in safe, well known territory. If they feel like all the sudden they've down eight days away and now they have to find a clean water source and food sources and safe spots again, the hormones subside for a bit since it wouldn't be safe for them to bring Chicks into the world... Just my two cents :)
Oh and... You may want to start using a perch to get her to step up in the cage.... Nouba always found the most tender spots to bite, but then when she was out she was fine...
I only have Kiwi and darwin as it is right now and typical spring hormomnes? (be gentle with me, she's around 2 years now and she's the first female I've ever had so I dont know that much more than what I've read) But as it sounds its just the time of the year where they get a bit tips and want kids right? and using a perch wont be necesary, haha, she's a hard case and wont even go on my finger if its not in the cage and with kiwi at her side. But she has never bitten me, she get agressive towards other stuff as kiwi(not in an extream way) My keybord, her sittingspots, the papper on the bottom of the cage etc latlly she's also been destroying the walls and lets just say she cant reach any more of the wall to bite of, haha...Thank you for a great coment! :)

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Three days? Nope, not an egg. They produce an egg every other day so, if she was getting ready to lay, she would have done it on the second day, nest or no nest, mate or no mate. But if she is fluffed up and acting strange, there could be something there not right (like egg yolk peritonitis, dystocia, ovary cyst, plain old infection and a million other things that could go wrong).
I doubt theres something wrong with her, she can asilly get colds all the time and be a bit down but this is honestlly as happy and willing to fly around as ever :)

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
If she is fluffed up and sleepy during the day (except for their noon nap), there is something going on. But it could just be that the temperature in the room is too low...