• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pico is terrified of fruit and vegetables.

Eimi

Moving in
Real Name
Aimee
My black masked lovebird Pico came to me eating just seed, with no exposure to veggies or even treats. I've been slowly trying getting him onto a pellet diet over the last couple of weeks, he still prefers to just eat seed but I've seen him nibbling on his pellets so at least he's trying that. But he just totally ignores any kind of fresh food that's given to him. I've taken some advice from people here and sliced some fruit veggies up wafer thin and given him access to them every day, but he totally ignores them when they're in his cage and if offered them by hand he flips out. He was watching me cut some carrot for him today and when I offered him a small piece he flew off in the other direction like it was about to bite him!

I would prefer that he gets a more varied diet, but I'm really not sure how to get him comfortable with trying new things. He's generally laid back and happy to explore, but not when it comes to his food I guess. :c

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I have the same problem. I've been told to just keep offering it to them and it could even take a year :jawdrop1: For them to start eating their veggies. Right now, I am trying veggies with millet sprinkled on it because who can resist that :p He does eat the millet and hopefully gets a tiny taste but I just keep trying. Someone also said that some prefer steamed instead of raw.

BTW WELCOME :dance4:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
finely finely chopped and in a completely separate bowl...also lovies and other birds usually like scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes brown rice...also haveyou tried birdie bread. there are a lot of recipes on line for it.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I had this problem with my flock as well, especially my parrotlet & amazon. It took them both a good 6 months to eat fresh stuff.. I did as @Anne & Gang suggested, I mixed fresh stuff up with brown rice, & cinnamon- I also added seeds to that & that's the only seeds they got was in that mix lol! They will pick around through the brown rice to get to the seeds. I also just kept giving it to them regardless if they ate it or not, & they eventually started eating it. Now, they LOVE it & when they hear the birdroom microwave running they go insane with excitment lol! Just be persisitant :)

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
My suggestion would to try dried fruit and veggies. They can last longer in the cage before going bad, so it gives them plenty of time to feel comfortable and curious about the new item in the cage. My guys love dried apricots :)