• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure eyelid

conuredaddy

Checking out the neighborhood
I bought home a Nanday conure yesterday. I've found some pink/reddish spots on both of his eyelids, essentially in the same location. At first I thought and was told it is just color, but I have some doubts. Before I go running to the vet in panic, I'd run it by here. Here are the pictures:
Right eye:

Left eye:

I'll be taking him to the vet soon for the new birdy checkup, but regardless, I'm wondering what this is.
In all the red spots (3 total) there is a thin feather growing and the skin is raised a bit. His eyes are dry and he is active.

All help is appreciated, I am quite worried.

Last edited:

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
my scarlet macaw is allergic to pine tree pollen (verified by a vet) and gets a little red rash on his face patch when the pollen count is high. usually a nice misting will soothe the skin by washing away any pollen on his skin and by adding moisture to his skin (again, vet recommending 'treatment') i guess it works much like us having itchy allergy eyes and using a simple saline wash to soothe them. (just my own logic)

so your lil one may just need a little misting. but a new birdie check up will ease any doubts and get a definite professional opinion on what's going on with your lil one.

please remember, i have no medical experience and i'm not there. i'm just making a suggestion of a possibility based on my VERY UNQUALIFIED opinions. ;)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pionus get like that when they bump their heads running into things while flying. Nerd did it quite a bit because he was a klutz and never flew well, though he never had any lasting issues from it, and Lurch just did it recently when he whacked himself on something during a panic flight.
I'd take him in just to be safe too.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a cutie. If you are not seeing discharge or swelling, he is not scratching it, he is eating/drinking fine, and it does not worsen, I would think that it might be okay to wait until you see the vet at his normal apt. I would definitely have him see a vet, though, but not sure you need to rush in. It is possible he scratched himself, causing the red patches. I would certainly watch the spots and eyes closely to make sure there is no change for the worse. If the skin reddens more, feels warm and/or swells, I would be worried about a cellulitis and take him in immediately.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
His claws might be too sharp and he did that himself scratching. Or, it could be a feather having a hard time coming out. Just keep your eye on the red spots but I would not rush to the AV for them.