• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corn

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm embarrassed to ask but we're all friends here so I'll ask. I've seen these little corn cobs at the store. They come in a package of three or four and the package says microwavable. Do you have to microwave them and what does the end product look like?
If you don't have a microwave, like me, how would you prepare it? And can I just feed my tiel regular sized corn? Can I just grill it? Or can they eat it raw?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Are you asking about the Vitakraft treat for birds? I buy those little corns on the cob and microwave them for my large Mealy, keeps him busy for the entire day. He loves it, you have to cover it or you will end up with popcorn all over the microwave once it start popping. I give him the whole cob he eats the popcorn, then chews off all unpopped kernels so he stays very busy.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yay! Thank you!
I'm actually allergic to corn so I'm fascinated by :) it. And the idea that you could pop popcorn on the cob is awesome!

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I've tried popping it in the microwave, but it never works...I always end up just giving it to them the way it is and they use it as a shredding toy

carchic26

Meeting neighbors
Popping worked for me but the package says pop or don't.

Blue was absolutely thrilled with the popped corn!

Parrot Examiner

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Beth Ralston
I actually get those for my rabbit! He loves them. he only gets them every now and then, and about half of it stays on the cob :cautious: but Gizmo eats what comes off. I burned the first one i tried :o: but Every month or so he gets one.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks! What a great enrichment idea. I just ordered some from Amazon, should be here today. Can't wait to try it! :)