• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Wish Itsy Well

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Enrofloxacin IS baytril, Ciprofloxacin is in the same family but its own thing.
how interesting that enrofloxacin and ciprofloxacin are more or less the same active structure; enfrofloxacin having that extra methylated N....it seems a great way to get past patent laws

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Enrofloxacin IS baytril, Ciprofloxacin is in the same family but its own thing.
Thanks Milo. Bad me, I know to always look that one up. A little dyslexia here.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
That's not true at all. The current recommendation for PBFD positive birds is to retest them after 90 days. It is not uncommon for birds who are asymptomatic to test positive and then clear the virus from their system and test negative after 90 days. A bird that tests positive a second time is then considered a carrier and will "break" with the virus at some point in their life.
From Wiki:
Infection paths[edit]

PBFD is usually acquired by nestlings from their parents (vertical transmission) or from other members of the flock (horizontal transmission). The immature immune system of young birds makes them susceptible to the PBFDV. The virus may be transferred in crop secretions, in fresh or dried feces, and in feather and skin particles.

Adult birds coming into contact with the virus usually (but not always) develop resistance to it, but the virus is retained in their body and, in most cases, is excreted in feces and feather debris for the rest of their lives.

and this Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease. from the Dr Michael Pyne from the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

Both documents support the claim that any bird that who has been diagnosed with a confirmed case of PBFD will carry the associated circovirus for the rest of its life whether or not they recover from its symptoms. Where a bird has been confirmed as being infected with PBFD one would think any follow up testing should be done using the HA/HI method rather than the PCR method, which can show false positives, or the Histapathology method, which may show a false negative.
No where, and I mean no where, in any documentation, can I find any evidence to support the claim by other members that once a bird has contracted PBFD and where that diagnosis has been confirmed, can a bird can rid itself of the associated circovirus.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
From Wiki:
Infection paths[edit]

PBFD is usually acquired by nestlings from their parents (vertical transmission) or from other members of the flock (horizontal transmission). The immature immune system of young birds makes them susceptible to the PBFDV. The virus may be transferred in crop secretions, in fresh or dried feces, and in feather and skin particles.

Adult birds coming into contact with the virus usually (but not always) develop resistance to it, but the virus is retained in their body and, in most cases, is excreted in feces and feather debris for the rest of their lives.

and this Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease. from the Dr Michael Pyne from the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

Both documents support the claim that any bird that who has been diagnosed with a confirmed case of PBFD will carry the associated circovirus for the rest of its life whether or not they recover from its symptoms. Where a bird has been confirmed as being infected with PBFD one would think any follow up testing should be done using the HA/HI method rather than the PCR method, which can show false positives, or the Histapathology method, which may show a false negative.
No where, and I mean no where, in any documentation, can I find any evidence to support the claim by other members that once a bird has contracted PBFD and where that diagnosis has been confirmed, can a bird can rid itself of the associated circovirus.
My CAV and another CAV here have that as their protocol for pbfd testing. I'll see if I can find you references when I get home.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
My CAV and another CAV here have that as their protocol for pbfd testing. I'll see if I can find you references when I get home.
@Milo, @DQTimnehs, @JAM, @roxynoodle. Jenny, since it is possible to acquire a false negative or positive from two of the tests, my statement (will always test positive) was incorrect. For this reason I can understand how Sweetpea tested negative down the track depending upon which test was used to gain the result. I also understand that certain pathology labs may, or may not, be equipped to perform certain tests and I also understand that different testing techniques come with different fees that a client may, or may not, be prepared to pay. However, I am yet to see any confirmed "scientific" evidence that once a bird has PBFD that it can rid itself of the virus. Many of our Lorikeets are birds that can and do recover from the disease and won't display any symptoms, but it is still my understanding that these birds will always retain the virus in their bodies.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
@Milo, @DQTimnehs, @JAM, @roxynoodle. Jenny, since it is possible to acquire a false negative or positive from two of the tests, my statement (will always test positive) was incorrect. For this reason I can understand how Sweetpea tested negative down the track depending upon which test was used to gain the result. I also understand that certain pathology labs may, or may not, be equipped to perform certain tests and I also understand that different testing techniques come with different fees that a client may, or may not, be prepared to pay. However, I am yet to see any confirmed "scientific" evidence that once a bird has PBFD that it can rid itself of the virus. Many of our Lorikeets are birds that can and do recover from the disease and won't display any symptoms, but it is still my understanding that these birds will always retain the virus in their bodies.
Bird Diseases PBFD

here is one to start with

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm definitely not the PBFD expert here :D The little I know included that they can clear the virus and test negative. I see Dr. O tomorrow, and can ask her, although we've hijacked Jen's thread in a way :)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm definitely not the PBFD expert here :D The little I know included that they can clear the virus and test negative. I see Dr. O tomorrow, and can ask her, although we've hijacked Jen's thread in a way :)
My vet is of the same opinion. She said the testing has improved a lot and the "good tests" weren't available when she was seeing cases of PBFD years ago.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Ok, finally got the sensitivity test results. The vet got them a little while ago but was consulting a bacteriologist. Because her culture was resistant to all 21 antibiotics! :( So now we try ear drops as they are more concentrated, she gets a white blood cell count test done tonight and skull x-rays on Tuesday. She wasn't under anesthetic for the last x-rays and hopefully won't be for these either but she may be sedated. The only other option is exploratory surgery as her ear canals are so tiny there's not much to see. I won't be signing her up for that! Too much to worry about going wrong during and after trying to heal the wound.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I feel kind of sick and want to cry but have to go take the bus in a few minutes. :(

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: :hug8: Oh dear heart....cry if ya have too..I wish I was there to give you a big hug......

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
:tiel2: adding my prayers from Itsy. and for you jennifer. when they are sick, it's like having a sick rugrat. you worry, you fret and you worry some more. sending you and Itsy :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: and big old :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:
rocky'smom and rocky :tiel2: too