• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovie Mom Needs Advice

Katiepooh

Moving in
Real Name
Ann
I am hoping to get some questions answered since I am new to the Lovebird scene. Elvis is 6 1/2 weeks old and I have been hand feeding him since he was 4 weeks old. This past week he has decided to eat less and play more. I know he is starting to go through a weaning stage from past experience with other types of birds many years ago, and it is normal for them to usually drop around 10% of their body weight but he feels very thin. His color looks good and he is a bundle of energy but I am worried that he is not getting enough to eat. I have been setting out Vita-Seed mix that also has dried fruit and also give him a selection of fresh fruit and veggies. He started "beaking" some of it earlier this week, and I did hear him crack open some seeds too. Should I be doing anything else???

Also, he absolutely HATES going back in his cage. He goes to work with me everyday, but when I get home I need him in his cage so I can cook dinner, etc. That's when he gets upset, climbs all over the cage, bites at it and shakes the doors. Is this normal because I have spoiled him and he is demanding more time?? Have I created a monster??? LOL I can't even leave my office to walk down the hall at work without him flying to me. He wants to be with me every second. Whether he is on my shoulder or cuddled up in my work scrub next to my neck. Very affectionate little cuddlebug!! Is this typical lovebird behavior???

Elvis at 5 1/2 weeks old.....

Elvis taking a nap in his favorite towel on my chest while I work.....

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
What a cutie! I raise lovies so hopefully I can help you a little. When my babies are weaning, I offer them spray millet which is a high energy food and easily digestible. They love it! I also have dishes of pellets, seed mix, and "crunchies" which is a mix of cheerios and rice cereal. I give them a warm breakfast of defrosted mixed veggies along with grated carrot, small dice apples (seeded and cored) and whatever fruits, treats I give the big guys. My babies really go for the soft food and also like various birdie breads. The ticket is to surround them with a wide variety of foods to sample.

Lovies do start to slim down when they are preparing for flight and normally will drop a feeding or become less interested in one. At this age, my babies were still eating 3 times a day but once they started eating the millet, veggies, etc they dropped the lunch time feeding.

Elvis is a cutie for sure! Looks like a medium green opaline too! :)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Eating -- Zazu also had troubles eating a lot at that age. I pretty much fed him by hand as often as I could and provided him with lots of millet. I know millet isn't the greatest but if they don't eat a lot, the millet helps. With the fresh fruits and veggies, my lovie wasn't interested until he was a couple months older. Don't worry though, I think he will eventually love fresh food. My lovie started out not interested but now he eats everything I offer him. The key is to have him see you eat it too, it will make him curious to try it.

Cage -- Zazu was exactly the same way at that age. HATED being in his cage, he would run around the bottom like a mad man wanting to get out. I know it's tough, but just ignore him. Eventually Zazu was able to settle down and now he likes his cage (though of course he always prefers to be out with his family). It may take a couple months, but be patient.

It sounds like you're doing very well so far. Lovebirds are truly amazing parrots, you will grow so fond of him. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
YES! You have created a monster... But he is such a cute monster! :roflmao:

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Oh my what a cutie pie! Im 8 weeks.in and everything.youdescribes what happy did. Although happy did.eat well.
I found whatever he seen on my chest was considered food. Try putting some food.up on your chest where he hangs out.and pretend to eat some,,,,happy cannot.resist.trying.it if.i do. I also found. Rubbing some millet off.the stem andmixing into the food helped as he sometimes would pick up something else.accidentally and it somewhat forced.him to WORK thru the other food to get his millet. ecentually he grew tired.of working thru it and would just eat whatever he picked.up...or at least try it .