• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm Confused...Desert African Grey Congo vs Timneh??

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
I spoke with a bird breeder tonight who cautioned me against Timnehs and urged me to go with Desert Congo African Greys. She states they're smaller and calmer than congos and 'much better' than Timnehs. Anyone know much about this or can add to it?

Thanks,

:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are only two subspecies of African greys: the Congo (Psittacus erithacus erithacus) and the Timneh (Psittacus erithacus timneh). Many "small" African greys have stunted growth or come from small parents. Their temperament would be the same as other Congos.

As a side note, there is some question as to if a third subspecies exists (Psittacus erithacus princeps). It is considered by most ornithologists and aviculturists to be the nominate Psittacus erithacus erithacus.

Matt

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Thats exactly what I thought! Thank you @expressmailtome This bird feeder (she gets the birds from another breeder) ALSO seemed maybe a touch loopy. Finding breeders ain't easy! I think I'll go with Scott if I decide to get a timneh.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Scott is an excellent breeder.

Matt

David Hull

Meeting neighbors
Now they have given the timneh parrot its own species. I think that it is silly to say one bird is much better than the other. What does that even mean?! Agh

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
My personal opinion is they are very similar, and both wonderful! I would have either and not think about it at all.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
I have a Timneh and also chose him because they are a bit smaller and supposed to be less phobic. He's definitely not phobic and he's a very very busy boy. I really have to keep an eye on him because he's in to everything. Turn away for a second and he's crunching on a door! He doesn't stay still-ever and is incredibly smart. I love him.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I've had 5 Congos and 1 Timneh so, in reality, very little experience because with only one Timneh, one can only talk about that bird's individual temperament and not the species or subspecies, in this case. But, if I went by the birds I've had, the Timneh is completely different from the 5 Congos. Pookey is definitely more independent as well as much more daring than the 5 Congos.

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
I've never had a TAG but I chose Congo, it's just my personal preference, I prefer larger greys, a black beak, pretty red tail and silver grey feathers :)

But I'm sure both are great birds. If you want a larger bird them go with a Congo but if you feel more comfortable with a smaller bird them get a Timneh :)