• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(sad update) Preparing for a sick Budgie

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
You are doing fantastic work! Those first few pictures if her really sickened me. How does someone like their bird get that bad without seeking help? I know the general population sees budgies as dispensable, but still, how can anyone let that be???

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Its been way too long since I posted about Breighlee!! She is looking so good, almost no scaly skin left!! :D Still waiting on someone who can file her beak for me, otherwise she is doing really well :) I'm sorry I haven't posted any improvement pics lately, I haven't had anyone to take the pics for me when I take her out for treatment! Will get some up soon :) :xflove:

solo

Real Name
jess
can't wait to see her improvement :xflove:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Amy Pierce What???!!!! Shame on you!!! You mean God only gave you two hands after all????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
What fabulous news! Goes to show how much one loving individual can do. :highfive:

Alyse

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyse
Yay Breighlee!! :dancing:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Please, I don't want any word getting back to Breighlee about these slightly unflattering pics!! She's still just too special for words :xflove:

Day 17 :)
IMG_0527.JPG
Just a few patches of dry skin left on some of the toes!
IMG_0529.JPG

Yep, that look of absolute disbelief was aimed at me!!
IMG_0530.JPG
New feathers on her face coming through!!!! :D :dancing:
IMG_0534.JPG
Is that a hint of a blue cere?? :wideyed: :dance5: Her beak still has large patches of 'scales'. the one side is difficult to access because of the lower mandible being in the way. I am using an ear bud with the treatment on to get in those hard to reach places, but I think its going to take a little bit longer than the rest :) She is such a fighter!! :xflove:

I would be incredibly hurt if I understood exactly what they were saying about me whenever I put them back in the cage after a treatment ;) Just as well I don't speak bird!!

Attachments

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8: What an improvement. Will the vet be able to trim her beak now?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: :hug8:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Wow Amy you really are a special person with healing hands! You are really blessed, awesome job of getting her sorted. :heart:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Amy I'm not sure where on the coast you are the only avian Vet I could find is KWAZULU NATAL Dr T. Kaldenberg (Kloof) 031 764 0588

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Wow Amy! When I saw the first few pics I was sooo shocked I couldn't even think! Poor Baby Breighlee! :(
I'm so glad to see that she is doing so much better, before we know it, no more scaly face! No more scaly Feet! :D You really are special for taking such good care of Breighlee and Dig! I'm sooo happy that they are able to stay with you!
For all you know, every time you put them back into their cage after treatment they might just be thanking you ;). Or as we probably know better they probably got very colorful vocabulary :facepalm:.
Very good thing we don't speak Bird :lol:.
Let us know how she's doing tomorrow! I'm also so glad that she is able to eat fine in spite of her beak. Reminds me of this one yellow budgie among dozens I saw at this one pet shop close by, his beak looked just like that but he still looked healthy. I wonder if he might still be there.
Keep us posted! :wacky:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks @Naomi ! Kloof is quite a distance away from us, about a 2 hour drive but I know there is a very good avian vet in Durban (about the same distance). The lady I got my Grey from works with her quite closely (she is a bird rescuer) and I know the vet checked Pippin out before he came to me. She also did an absolutely stunning job on his wings so I have no doubt that she is very good! If the lady who can do Breighlee's beak doesn't come through again I will take her through to the vet to have it done :) I will probably take her when her beak has cleared up completely :) It's the last hurdle we have to get over!!

@CrystalLeo I'm sure their vocab is VERY colourful! ;) I feel like I have to avoid eye contact afterwards in case I drop dead!! ;) :laugh:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
My heart is breaking just having to write this. My little Breighlee passed away :sad10:I don't know how or why but I have just found her at the bottom of the cage. Dig was sitting on his perch quietly watching me while I took out her tiny little body.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and support. I cannot believe the impact she has made me on the short time we were together.

I will miss you beautiful :sad13:

:budgie:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Wow, I just saw this thread now for the first time. :( I'm very sorry about her passing, it is too bad I caught this thread so late. Thank you for helping her out, she was very much loved during her final days spent with you. :hug8:

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
Oh so sorry about your loss, she was fortunate to have you in her last days.