• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 Orphaned Mannikins

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Mannikins are pretty closely related to finches, so I thought this would be the right place to post this!

On Sunday I was contacted by a woman who had found 5 baby mannikins. She was raising them on formula, and just asked me what her next step should be. One thing led to another, and I found myself offering to take them over, as they are a full time job when they are young. So today I went through to fetch them! Unfortunately one died during the night, but the other 4 are doing quite well :) They are cuddled up in a warm nest right now, all on top of the other ;) One is a lot smaller than the others, and it seems to have a problem leg too. I think it must be smaller because it hasn't been able to stand and thus get the attention of its (biological) mom when it comes to feeding. At least now they will all get the same amount of food!

They are so tiny and I can fit all 4 in my hand at once! This will be their "growth and improvement" journal, for those who would like to watch them get big! :)

I hope you enjoy! :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank you for helping them!

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Can't wait to see pics and watch these little ones grow up in your care!

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Pictures Please :dance4: Thank you for taking them in :) Mannikins are so sweet:hug8:Can't wait to see how they grow! :dance4:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: oh! how very sweet!!

solo

Real Name
jess
:xflove: :xflove: :xflove: little adorable monkeys :xflove: :xflove: :xflove:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
The babies are doing so well today! I think the little one with the problem leg may have actually broken it. He holds it tucked up to his side, when I had a look there was a small bulge right at the top of the leg. The lady I got them from said it was there when she first found them, so it could also very well just be a deformity! The others tend to sit on top of him because he can't get himself out the pile, but he doesn't seem to mind! Keeping a close eye on that and I will move him into his own cage if it seems to become a problem

They have already started to venture out the "nest" when they are hungry. I think these little ones will be quick, strong developers! :heart: More pics to follow soon!

Tranquil Bird

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like you will be a busy Finch Mom for awhile…..how fun! And yes….more photos when you have time….they do grow and change so fast!

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Everyone has had their first feed of the day :) The little chap with the bad leg was a bit unresponsive this morning, but after some food seems to be a bit more alert :) The big baby of the flock managed to hop its way out the cage and was sitting all fluffed up waiting to be returned. I see we have a little adventurer already ;)

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Awww, I can't wait to see them grow up!! I'm so excited!! :laughing12:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
The little guys are getting ready for bedtime :xflove: I was mistaken earlier, the little one I mentioned earlier that is a bit weaker than the others isn't the one with the sore leg. Still doing well, just a little bit slower than the others :) I will be sure to post more pics soon!

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
The little weak one just isn't gaining strength :( I have a feeling he might be constipated which I know is not good for birds, or any babies in fact. He sits with his tail straight up in the air. I have gently massaged his vent and made sure there is no dry poop there. I have massaged his abdomen too and it doesn't seem abnormally hard or swollen. I also noticed he had more food in his crop from the last feed then his siblings did. I am considering moving him into a separate nest where he won't be sat on and he can have a nice heating pad (and I will also be able to tell if he poops or not), but I think it is probably important for him to be with his siblings. I don't know if it would be good for him to be on his own

I have some natural constipation meds that I have used on other birds before. I'm just a bit apprehensive to use it on such a tiny little thing!

He is clearly the "runt" (for lack of a better word) of the brood. Perhaps he just didn't have a good start to life, and isn't recovering from it? :sad9:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
The little guy unfortunately didn't make it through the night :( I buried his tiny little body this morning. His siblings are all doing very well though

RIP tiny thing :sad13:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor little tykey...but at least he knew love and had good food fly free and high little wee one, free and high and thank you so much Amy for continuing to care for these little creatures. :hug8:

Tranquil Bird

Meeting neighbors
Oh no…that is too bad he didn't make it. There must have been something wrong internally and Mother Nature had to take care of things her way. :(

But it is nice to hear the others are doing well….and darn it where are those updated photos! :rolleyes: