• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a Blue Front at the end of the year, can anyone give me some info?

Alison

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I know this seems like extreme planning in advance, but I have my name down to get a male Blue Front from the first breeding cycle at the end of the year (I'm in Australia, hence end of the year breeding, when the weather warms up).

What I'm after is any information about Blue Fronts that people can give me, I've gone on the net and done a few searches, but I keep reading the same thing, so I thought I'd come here and ask those who have them. I've also been out to visit the breeder, and handled some of her current babies, and met the parents -was really impressed, the cages were spotless, and the parents were characters, talking away and asking me what I was doing. Compared to Mordi, my Nanday Conure, they felt huge to hold!

My Dad is planning on building a beautiful big cage on our decking, with 1 separate half for Mordi and 1 half for Zeus (yes, I've named him already), with a smaller inside cage and a night cage.

I'm hoping he and Mordi will get along, eventually. I'll introduce them right from the start, and hopefully one day they'll be friends. It is Mordi that I'm worried about, she might be little, but she is feisty.

Also, are Blue Fronts good at foraging? I saw a really nice feeder the other day, that has a handle at the top that is turned and the food drops through a few different chambers until it reaches the bowl at the bottom, and though it might be good for him. Guess it depends on how big it is!

One more question, Mordi will lay on her back and let me clip her claws, and will also let me handle her wings and spread them, and if I ever needed to cut them, I could without holding her down. Will this be possible for Zeus? Or is it best to go with 1 or 2 concrete perches and have his claws worn down that way?

I made a few mistakes and didn't have the knowledge about parrots that I have now 9 years ago when I got Mordi, so this time I want to get it right, and give Zeus the best life ever from day one, hence the advanced planning!

Thanks for any information anyone can give me, it will be much appreciated by me and Zeus. I'll make sure I put up a photo of him when he finally arrives, in 8 or so months time!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have no experience with amazons but I would be very concerned with Mordi's safety in a double cage unless it had a solid (plexiglass) partition. Due to the size difference toes could be bitten off.

I also don't think you are starting to plan too early. Gives you lots of time to get ready.

Alison

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
The plan is for a solid partition, plexiglass as you suggested, they can still see each other but no claws will be lost :) I plan to be very wary with the interaction between them to begin with, until I'm 110% convinced they are happy and like each other!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have a Nanday and YC amazon who are friends, but there is a huge size difference and I am still nervous about it. And my Nanday is definitely the boss!

My amazon lets me trim his nails, but I don't ask him to lay on his back to do it. Nandays have a tendency to like to do that, but I don't think amazons do. I just ask him to hand me one foot, and I trim his nails and then ask him for the other foot.

Good luck and I agree it's smart to plan ahead of time :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Blue Fronts are awesome Zons, and a favorite of mine. They're gorgeous birds with personality plus. While a youngster, with lots of handling, you'll most likely have a lovely, comical buddy who loves you. They can be mischievous and stubborn to a fault. Watching them display is something else.

BFs are also one of the hot 3. This means they're infamous for severe aggression upon reaching sexual maturity. This could be anywhere from 3-5-7+ years of age when it starts. You may be one of the lucky ones and get a Zon that never gets like that. Females are a little less extreme, but honestly, both sexes are are well known for it.

As long as you're aware of what the future may hold, prepare for it, and determine to see it through, then a BF is a perfect bird.

Last edited:

Alison

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone for the replies, it's great to get advice from those who have Amazons. I can't wait to get my not-so-little man, and I'm hoping if I'm prepared for the aggression at sexual maturity and read up on how to deal with it, we will both get through it okay :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I HIGHLY recommend you do stick training, until your bird is extremely reliable about stepping up on a dowel (or whatever perch you use).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have two blue fronts and love them dearly.

Don't care if they are one of the hot three.....an Amazon shows you signs

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have two blue fronts and love them dearly.

Don't care if they are one of the hot three.....an Amazon shows you signs

Yes, they don't give false signs, typically, to lure you in, like some greys and macaws do. It is very important to respect moods. On the few days that Morgan is out of sorts, I respect her space. It's worked well for the first 18 years. I'm lucky that she's pretty laid back. Also, the second I perceive that she's starting to get worked up, I stop what I'm doing, distract her with something, and usually put her on a gym for a while.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I have a blue front and he is an amazing boy, I love him dearly and can't imagine my life without him. He is very smart and a real character and makes me laugh every day. He can be a handful though as he is a high energy bird so training is a must (some days I think he is part lorikeet :D ) luckily he is also eager to please and has learned step up both on hand and stick, recall, high five, Shake hands, turn on the perch and I'm working on a wave, I can also file his nails if I need to, and gently flex out his wings. He's a great talker and is also learning to speak things in context.
He loves his foraging toys, he has a foraging ball on a SS skewer and a carousel that he figured out in about a day or two, he loves shredding toys like the planner pleasures palm shredding products and brown paper bags.
I would recommend keeping a BFA fully flighted, and teach recall so you can excersize him daily, my boy Giacomo would go crazy if he couldn't work off his excess energy.

I would also ask the breeder if you can visit throughout your birds growth to bond and start basic training and harness training if you want to.

I have read that hens can make more placid pets less prone to hormonal aggression so that may be something you would like to consider.

I also though my boy was huge when I first met him, but I am so used to him now that I feel he is small even though he is about 460grams :hehe:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Flying is a great idea! My DYH is, but I have found Amazons to be pretty lazy. Morgan will fly to her ring stand or java tree sometimes. Otherwise, it takes being startled or balloons to cause flight.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
And I agree. All things being equal and even though birds are individuals, I'd prefer a hen.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret is dna male. Doesn't matter that this wild caught is contrary.....love the parrot anyway.

Will be interested to know if mc is female though.

:cool: Smiley not on purpose....phone has a mind of its own and won't delete it!!!!!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two Blue Front girls! They are wonderful! They can be loud but they sure are funny and all around entertaining! They talk pretty well and are flighted here in the home. They are kept together in a very large corner cage. They are great climbers on ropes and hanging toys. They are extremely destructive with all of their toys and my house if not watched carefully! o_O I have adopted them and they were raised very well so they will fly to anyone and sit and chit chat on their shoulders. They are highly food motivated as most Zon species are. They can definitely be hard headed at times but what zon isn't? :D I just love Mia and Izzy. Feel free to do a search on my threads here.

birdle

I have two Blue Front girls! They are wonderful! They can be loud but they sure are funny and all around entertaining! They talk pretty well and are flighted here in the home. They are kept together in a very large corner cage. They are great climbers on ropes and hanging toys. They are extremely destructive with all of their toys and my house if not watched carefully! o_O I have adopted them and they were raised very well so they will fly to anyone and sit and chit chat on their shoulders. They are highly food motivated as most Zon species are. They can definitely be hard headed at times but what zon isn't? :D I just love Mia and Izzy. Feel free to do a search on my threads here.
how do you do a thread search? I want to read more about Izzy and Mia

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Under your name on the right at the top is a SEARCH box. Click on it and then click ADVANCED Search. Then type in my name Greycloud in the SEARCH for Member or just type Izzy and Mia in the SEARCH box. :)

Alison

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the info guys, lots to think about! It will be interesting to have a flighted bird in the house - my Nanday is so lazy that she just waits to be carried everywhere!

Have a few big projects to work on before getting him - my parents have agreed to let me enclose half of our decking, where Zeus outdoor cage will be, so I'll have an area I can do training and get him into his harness before carrying him into the house.

Has anyone harnessed trained any of their Amazons? I want to do it while he is young, thinking it might make it a little bit easier. Eventually I want to be able to take him out for walks when I go looking for fallen branches for toys, and I've already had request from my friends at work that he comes for a visit!

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but can I over train him? I have so much I want to teach him, starting with harness training and stepping up, on both a hand and a perch.

Thanks!

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I wasn't fortunate enough to harness train my boy, I missed a crucial time when he was a baby, I had the opportunity but was a bit nervous about it, I would definitely talk to your breeder and request visit time to start harness training before they are fledged as it will be a lot easier.
You can certainly overwhelm a young bird with too much training, start with the basics, and take things at his pace you will be able to tell when he's had enough each session. Try and identify what behaviours come naturally that you can cue and grow on. Giacomo loves to use his feet so it was easy to cue a high five, then turn that into a shake hands.

Alison

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have been exploring foraging toys on ebay and found the two that I like, would these be okay for an Amazon? They seem to be solid and can be firmly attached to the cage.

What Birds Want Windmill Paddle Wheel Creative Foraging Systems Food TOY | eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251417803674?var=550338013066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I also really like this, as it can double as a swing and a funky perch

birdtalk Bird Toys Perch Twirl Swing A Free Foot TOY Orders Over $25 | eBay

Also have decided where his custom made outdoor cage will be - out next to my breeding Quakers cage, instead of on the decking. It will have an extra section at the front I can walk into and get him into his harness and take him inside for love and play time. This does mean he will spend part of the day away from the house, but it doesn't mean he won't be any less loved.

Inside, I have already got him a big cage, which just needs a stand for it to go on. It will double as his night cage, and I'll have a play gym on top for him as well.