• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maxi Pionus or Timneh Grey? Maxi breeder?

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
I'm looking to eventually get another bird and I can't make my mind up between a maxi pi or a Timneh. My current bird is a White cap pionus, Helgi. He's the most wonderful little guy!

Fellow Pi people...convince me why I should get a Maxi Pi over a Timneh! or vice versa! lol

Also! Does anyone know a reputable Maxi pi breeder? They're SO hard to find!

Thanks!
:hug8:

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
I don't own a maxi pi but the ones that I have met have been lovely. Their colors are really pretty in the sunlight especially. And the timneh that I'm getting to know is very bold and confident, she's really funny and loves attention but doesn't talk. She is a really cool bird. Apparently timnehs are known to be more confident than congas.. but it probably depends on the individual bird. Where are you located?

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
I am located in NYC. I LOVE Maxi's and Timnehs. Something tells me a Maxi COULD be the better choice but I don't really know why.

Do you know of a Maxi breeder?

birdle

Sorry to get your hopes up; I thought I knew of a breeder here in colorado but she no longer breeds maxis I think just blue heads and duskies. I also did a web search and didn't find many hits, maybe you can contact a local breeder of other parrots in nyc and see if they know of anyone?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
There is a Maxi, Bandi or Bindi, who has been in rescue for quite sometime in Brooklyn. Check out the Casey Foundation or Rescue. He is alrwady on Harrisons so he has been well cared for by the Foubdation.

Seriously consider getting a rescue. They are many pionus who do not leave rescue as they are as obvious birds as others. Greys live long so often end up in rescue.

Best Wishes

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I did a quick search on Petfinders. Within 100 miles of NYC there is 1 female Maxi Pi named Skyler at A Helping Wing in Blairstown, NJ. And a Timneh named Sarafina at Phoenix Animal Rescue in Chester Springs Pennsylvania.

I don't have any info on breeders.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
DeanArrlack said:
@Maxsmom doesnt appear to be listed anymore
Try calling the rescue. He wasn't on rescue website. But I emailed once and they had him still. If he has been adopted great for him! Good luck with your search.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
There is a Maxi, Bandi or Bindi, who has been in rescue for quite sometime in Brooklyn. Check out the Casey Foundation or Rescue. He is alrwady on Harrisons so he has been well cared for by the Foubdation.

Seriously consider getting a rescue. They are many pionus who do not leave rescue as they are as obvious birds as others. Greys live long so often end up in rescue.

Best Wishes
Meant to say pionus are not as known or obvious beauties so they can the overlooked in rescue.

Cyreen

Of your choices, my reason for a Pionus is simple... Dust.