• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning for those who use BirdBreeders.com

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Just wanted to share a little I have found out to maybe warn prospective bird shoppers. Birdbreeders.com only post the positive comments about their premium members. So please do your research and talk to your breeder and find out everything you want to know. Even though I received a well socialized Tag, whom was supposed to be weaned to pellets fresh vegi's and fruit and some seed, only thing he would eat was sunflower seeds, so took me a month or so to convert him. And after reading the breeders all magnificent reviews and me wanting a Tag so bad, I didn't ask all the questions I should have, now I know so many breeders clip their babys after they fledge, I didn't ask if they were allowed to fledge, which this breeder clips before allowing the birds to learn to fly. Not only that they butchered his wings clipped 10 flights on each wing. Now I have a sweet well socialized smart Tag that thinks he can fly, which the does just like a rock :(.
I tried to post a review on BB.com warning prospective buyers about the sever clipping and not allowing babys to fledge, but since this was a premium member (the breeder) and I did not rate at least 4 out of 5 stars they did NOT post my review, So I tried to email BB.com and the email was sent back undeliverable.
Just a warning :banghead: You cant believe all those reviews because they only post the ones they want you to see.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am very sorry this happened. I guess we bird people can trust too much. Good that you are warning others. Hope your bird grows the flights back quickly.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Which breeder did you pick? I looked up the web, and it looks like it doesn't sell birds right off themselves. :thinking: :tdown:

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I joined that forum and could not post any thing whatsoever. The information on that site is not current because I called multiple breeders and they were out of the breeding business. So even though it is a breeder's site one must be on guard because it does not guarantee integrity of their members.

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Yes, it is true. I was a premium member on that site when I was breeding. I never received a negative comment, but all comments are first sent to the breeder who has the option to post the comment or not. Of course, no breeder is going to choose to post a negative review :sour:

When buying a bird the buyer must perform all due diligence - never assume anything and always be cautious, I would say 75% of breeders only care about money - not so much the birds :(

Also, the larger the breeder is (the more babies they have listed) the less socialization each individual baby receives. I know this seems intuitive, but pay attention to this fact. A breeder who is breeding as a full-time job has to produce so many babies just to turn a profit, so the babies are put in bins, and the breeder feeds at certain times of the day by just going down the line of tubs and feeding as fast as possible before moving on to the next bin of babies. Then you have to clean/sanitize the baby bins and tools/equipment. Plus taking care of the parent birds needs. All this work leave no time for proper fledging or socialization to take place. Try to stick to small hobby breeders or even small bird retail stores that only receive a few babies at a time and works to socialize them properly.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I wish I could pick only the comments I wanted to hear about me :lol: I know I learned the hard way on what all the questions I should have asked. I did receive a very sweet and well socialized bird, just wish he was allowed to fledge and the clipping would have either not been done or at least not so sever our avian vet said he would never clip more than 5 flights a wing on a grey and they did 10 :( 7 have grew out so far on one wing the other wing he keeps breaking blood feathers so has yet to have one flight to grow out on that wing makes for a pretty unbalanced bird.
Which breeder did you pick? I looked up the web, and it looks like it doesn't sell birds right off themselves. :thinking: :tdown:
I picked D and R aviary in IA.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Weird. All the votings are 5 stars, like you said. :eeeek:

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Weird. All the votings are 5 stars, like you said. :eeeek:
Have found out that the breeders themselves get to screen and post only the reviews they want. My TAG was well socialized and fairly healthy even though I think he was weaned to just sunflower seeds and they butchered his wings before he was allowed to fledge.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Have found out that the breeders themselves get to screen and post only the reviews they want. My TAG was well socialized and fairly healthy even though I think he was weaned to just sunflower seeds and they butchered his wings before he was allowed to fledge.
SAD :sad8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wish I could pick only the comments I wanted to hear about me :lol: I know I learned the hard way on what all the questions I should have asked. I did receive a very sweet and well socialized bird, just wish he was allowed to fledge and the clipping would have either not been done or at least not so sever our avian vet said he would never clip more than 5 flights a wing on a grey and they did 10 :( 7 have grew out so far on one wing the other wing he keeps breaking blood feathers so has yet to have one flight to grow out on that wing makes for a pretty unbalanced bird.
I picked D and R aviary in IA.
I looked at them about two years ago when I was looking for a plet. A lot of red flags in their posts and emails with me. It's unfortunate that breeders like that are able to stay afloat

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I am a premium breeder on birdbreeders.com and have not received a negative review. But, it is true that I do get to see the reviews and decide to post or not. I am a small hobby breeder and raise birds because i love them and I love the babies! I do my absolute best to educate potential buyers before they place a deposit, clip after fledging, and abundance wean. And, I get up at night with my babies if they need a feeding. And if I get a bad vibe from someone, I will not sell to them and/or I will return a deposit. I am sorry this happened to you but as you said, next time you will know what questions to ask. You TAG does sound like a sweetie though. :)

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Yes Sally did not mean to imply that all or maybe even many of the breeders are bad on there. Just wanted to warn people that they cant go by just reviews they need to be smarter than I was and lean just what questions to ask.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
No worries there Rick! It is good for people to be aware and to ask questions. Thanks for posting this thread.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Bird Breeders.com did finally get my email which I wrote asking why they only posted positive reviews and why my fairly negative review was not posted. There only response was blocking me from the sight................. :banghead:

sonja

Jogging around the block
Wow, they banned you?? Crazy. I recently purchased a bird that I found on the site, and the experience with the breeder was not very good. I was very surprised that I had such a negative experience since the breeder sells quite "high-end" birds. There were no reviews of her at all on the site. I have been considering starting a thread about the transaction.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
You were banned from Birdbreeders because of your feedback? That is so not right! Everyone should be entitled to his/her opinion regardless.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Wow, they banned you?? Crazy. I recently purchased a bird that I found on the site, and the experience with the breeder was not very good. I was very surprised that I had such a negative experience since the breeder sells quite "high-end" birds. There were no reviews of her at all on the site. I have been considering starting a thread about the transaction.
You should.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
OK guess I wasn't blocked, they must have been doing some changes the past couple days, I can get around on there now. They still don't post negative reviews, so use caution. :bag: