• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shipping Birds

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
My friend is looking into getting a bird and she wants to get one from breeder a few states away that she met on a vacation. The only way to get it home is by shipping. Is it safe? What have everyone's experiences been with shipping birds? She just wants it to be safe and not stressed on the plane ride. It is a GCC if that helps. I know lots of breeders do it. Also will it do anything to the birds personality/ tameness? I would hate for her to get a sick, unhappy bird because it was shipped. Also where do they ship it? Just to the nearest airport or will they bring it to your post office? Thanks also any other tips would be helpful! :)

Owned By~ :tiel4: Stella :tieln: Reda :phros: Luna Belle

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sophia, not only have we shipped several birds to us, both young and old, but have also had 4 of our German Shepherds shipped to us. Delta and United do a very good job making sure that our babies arrive safely. As a matter of fact, I'm expecting our baby Jardine's next month via air shipment. Most airlines have a special cargo building to which your animals will be taken once they've arrived. And no, animals aren't delivered to any post offices, thank goodness!

It's SO much fun waiting at the airport, filled with so much excitement as you await your new baby's arrival.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Both my parrots were shipped just fine. I think both came from United.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
We are Australia but I bought my conure down south where I lived at the time and shipped him up north when I moved, he was only about two months old. And more recently, I 'shipped' (they can't be in the plane cabin here) the same bird back down south with me for a holiday with my parents because the first time he flew, had no effect on him, he just chattered away to everyone! Soon we will probably be flying back up north! It's always scary because your baby is out of your site and being handled by non bird people but there's not a problem :) In Australia, the people who handle the containers even chat away to the animals!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Thank you all SO much! I will be sure to tell her. She was just really nervous its only her second bird and the other one they got from a friend who was moving. Thanks again!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I recently had a young budgie flown to me. The breeder had a carrier with a perch, fresh fruit, seeds and millet. It was a two hour flight, and when he arrived he seemed very alert and content. The flight didn't seem to stress him out at all.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I had a plet flown to me from Maryland when I lived in Iowa and he acted like nothing had ever happened :) the airline people were more curious about him than anything

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
I had a plet flown to me from Maryland when I lived in Iowa and he acted like nothing had ever happened :) the airline people were more curious about him than anything
I watched the guys loading him onto the airplane holding his carrier up and talking to him!!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I'm glad it doesn't affect them too much. She was really nervous.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I'm glad it doesn't affect them too much. She was really nervous.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am in Aus and Pikachu was shipped from Chelsey in WA across to us in NSW.
The worst part was waiting for him to be brought out.
It's really good to have them in a dark (with holes carrier) as Pika was so calm when we finally opened the box up to let him out.
He was so quiet we thought he hadn't made it and then this beautiful little shape moved and there he was. :heart:

Cyreen

I live in Canada and my Caique, Zetta, was shipped from Ontario to Alberta by Westjet, no issues. They took good care of her.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Wow everyone speaks so highly of the shipping. I think that she will be VERY confident with all the good things to be said.

DaisyGoffin

Moving in
I have a 4 year old goffin cockatoo and flying from nj to ca the airline will not allow cockatoo in cabin under the seat so I have to put her in cargo
can anyone recommend what tye of crate to be used for a goffin cockatoo for cargo I think I am more stressed than the bird will be

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Google 'airline approved pet carriers for birds'. I've always gone with Petmate. What I did was drill holes into the sides of the crate and created a manzanita perch for my fid. You don't have to go to that extreme, but I wanted my birds to be able to have something to hold onto during the trip. I recommend that you book a flight on either Delta or United, as those airlines are the 'go to' airlines for pet travel.

Visit the airline's website and read all about their requirements for pet travel so you know what labels need to be affixed to the outside of the crate, etc.

I've shipped 4 of my animals, and each arrived in great condition. I know it's nerve wracking, but your baby will be just fine!

DaisyGoffin

Moving in
Thank you so much I am flying the U one have spoken to them many times just wanted to get feed back from actually people who have done this
she is a goffin any suggestions like I am sire can not be to big with they do not want flapping wings petmate will do then thank you very much

DaisyGoffin

Moving in
good sign I am moving to san diego with daisy thank you very much for your information