• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible a linnie could get along with a budgie?

4feathersandfur

Meeting neighbors
Hi I am considering two species. A linnie or a lovebird. Both would be handfed. I have a budgie and a parrotlet. Both are independent but enjoy human company-neither are overly loud. I am looking for another bird species that fits that bill. So that is how I came to linnies versus lovebird. Although I do know that lovebirds are louder than linnies, but are they conure loud? A pro for a linnie would be that they are more docile than lovebirds from what I have read. So is their a greater chance that they could get along with other species than a lovebird? The lovebird I'd get, if I got one, would most definitely be a just weaned handfed DNA'd male.

Thanks in advance.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Anica and Swan, lovebird and budgie, are best friends in my flock... It's possible, but you should never count on two birds getting along, especially two birds from different species.

Lovebirds are very chatty, but they aren't nearly as loud as an aratinga conure. They're shrill, though, and mine sound-off a lot more than anyone else in my flock.

I don't have any linnies, so I can't comment on them except to say that they're cute!

Val

Checking out the neighborhood
I have one female linnie and two budgies (one male, one female). Their cages are next to each other and whenever I'm home, they spend their time together and get along great. There are occasional squabbles between the linnie and the female budgie (I think they fight for the male's attention lol) but nothing too serious and I'm always around to keep an eye on them. Overall they're great together.

Margaret

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Malgorzata
I have right now 2 budgies, 2 cockatiels and 2 linnies in inside aviary and they get along very good. But it was a long process.

Kids and tiels was almost from the beginning together. Linnies was rescued last year and they was in the separate cage.

My first attempt for putting linnies inside aviary was to fast(I believe it was 3-4 months after they came). Linnies just stayed in the corner and was even afraid to move far away from each other. After couple of days they came back to their cage.
Couple of months later I realized that birds from aviary and 2 linnies in the cage are contact calling each other more often and more often. Then I risked again and ta-da, it worked this time.
At the beginning all of the birds established who is the boss, but there was not real fights between them.
More: at the beginning linnies was shy, but moving there and kinda following the rules of budgies. Tiels was friendly. Now I see that linnies start to take advantage of the situation :)

And the story about Mango (budgie) and my 2 linnies (Venus and Mars)
Mango was my oldest budgie and the first one. He was rescued and if there is real love existing, that bird wanted to take care of every new bird who joined the flock. He was never bully. So when the other 3 budgies(I had more of them at that time) was bossing around linnies, Mango did exactly opposite. He start going between them, grooming them, etc. Very often I saw 3 of them sleeping together on one perch. Very soon I saw Venus (the female linnie) grooming Mango (the budgie). First I was concerned that Mars (the other linnie) will be left alone, but no, the 3 of them started to groom each other, Mars-Mango, Venus-Mars, Mango-Venus. :wtf: That was the perfect bird triangle.
Mango was old budgie and he was getting weaker and weaker fast. We check him at vet and we realized his time is coming. Mango couldn't defend himself. Other budgies start bulling Mango and to my surprise my both linnies stood brave against the budgies, they didn't let no bird to hurt Mango!
Mango died, but to the end linnies was with him, grooming him. :heart:

I thing that with different species of birds it's a bit of hazard, luck and a lot of patience. Look, my first attempt to have them together was too fast, but later they got along (sometimes even too much) Timing was wrong. Now Mars the linnie is trying to be louder than Mickey the tiel in the morning. It's really funny how they learn from the other birds.

Good luck with whatever decision you made!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have two lovebirds and they can be pretty loud but in my opinion its a very cute noise. Its more just chirping all the time than like a scream or anything. When they're on you're shoulder they can hurt your ears tho, they have a really high pitch chirp that makes you feel deaf for a bit....trust me, right now I feel like I've been at a concert, I've had two little lovies on my shoulder singing the songs of their people :lol:

As to if they'll get along with the budgie that's honestly hard to say. My older lovebird gets along with all of my other birds (I have 2 conures and another lovebird) but the younger lovebird really doesn't like the conures and will attack them. He was attacked by his siblings as a baby so its hard to say if that has anything to do with it or what.

When you add a second bird its always best to plan on them not getting along at all and then just hope for the best :)

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
I'm interested in reading this. I currently have 9 linnies in an outdoor aviary and 2 new linnies indoors which will be joining the others in spring when the weather gets warmer. I also have 2 budgies. We are moving house next year to a smaller house but will have a larger aviary in the garden so was hoping to add the budgies and the 2 new linnies to the existing group in spring. Their indoor part if the shed will be 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 3ft deep and their flight area will be 6f x 6ft x 6ft. Will there be enough room for them all and should I expect any problems?

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
We moved house and our bespoke aviary is in place. All 11 linnies are in there, a week later we added the 2 budgies. I think they tried out most of the nest boxes. Unfortunately, the male, Pip, started chasing the linnies, even catching hold of their tails. So now they are back in the cage in the house. Worth a try.