• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avitech products

Mr.Zeeko

Moving in
Hello friends! Wondering if anybody has tried any of the Avitech bird products? I am referring to the Avicalm product used for nervous, aggressive, screaming or feather plucking parrots. My little guy is a Senegal and he is around 7 years old. I am his 3rd home and he is a very nervous bird. He will step up onto my finger and sit on my shoulder most of the time, but then there are other times when he will fly off and play this "Catch me if you can game"until he gives up and finally steps up. When I am close to him, I have to move very slow and the only way he will allow any cuddle time is when I place him on his back wrapped up in towel or my t-shirt. Then at that time he will let you pet his head and give him kisses.
So back to the Avicalm product. I was thinking it would help with his nervousness, but wanted to hear from other parrot owners who may have already tried this product and/or may have any other suggestions about how to help my fella with his nervousness. Other than just being nervous, Zeeko is a great parrot! He doesn't talk or mimic any sounds and is extremely quiet. Although just recently every now and then, he will make a little "beep" noise, but that has only happened maybe only twice since I become his new mommy. (Adopted him about 1 month).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like Danita says, different birds have had different experiences with Avi-calm. You won't harm your bird by trying it. In general the Avitech products are very good.

Another, product you might want to consider is DMG ( DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium ). Avitech has a product, Avi-immune, that contains DMG. I know of one person who takes to help them sleep or calm rattled nerves.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tried Rescue Remedy with two of my birds based on a recommendation from a vet. There is the regular version and the pet version. I didn't feel as if it was very effective but I've read that it works with some. Rescue Remedy for pets

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Jayde, my red throated conure, whom I adopted from a member here, was a very nervous bird when she first got here. She couldn't sit still, she was always in a state of movement. If her body wasn't moving, then she was frantically preening herself. It's like she didn't know *HOW* to be calm and restful. I also couldn't handle her at first but she did enjoy scritches. She also couldn't fly so she was very demanding while being absolutely terrified at the same time. I had heard about other birds showing this behavior before, but never had experienced it myself. It's odd.

Now though, she's got her flights, still demanding but she can easily fly to me, is gaining confidence (before, she was only comfortable on her cage or on me, now she's starting to fly to other areas, too!), and she's not as jittery as she was before. I never tried any calming products for her, I simply gave her time. She's been with me for 8 months now and is about 4 years old. I've also never had to chase her, nor do I wrap her up to pet her.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
A month is nothing to a parrot and they are always nervous and apprehensive when they first come to a new house. They usually need a couple of weeks of leaving them be (no step up, no nothing but talk, sing, offer treats, open the cage, etc) to begin to feel comfortable. And, I am sorry to say that although your intentions are obviously good, toweling him and forcing him (he is not 'allowing' cuddle time if he is toweled, 'to allow' implies a choice between allowing or not allowing but, if he is toweled, he has no choice) to accept your touch won't help him feel more comfortable and it might end up either delaying his trust in you or nixing it for good. Personally (and all my birds are rehomes/adoptions/rescues), I find that just letting them be and taking it real slow, waiting for them to make the first step is the best way of establishing a long-lasting relationship with them.

I've tried the Avicalm and it did absolutely nothing to the couple of birds I tried it on but I don't know if it was these birds or if it was because it doesn't really work.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I find that just letting them be and taking it real slow, waiting for them to make the first step is the best way of establishing a long-lasting relationship with them.
Agree 100%. I took a wild aviary bred bird ( Soentjie) and waited and bided my time. Two years later she wont go to bed unless I offer my finger and lift her over to her nest ( the little madam!). She will never be as tame as the others, and is perhaps, all the better for it.

Patience, patience all the way

JP