• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No more aracari for me :-(

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
While I have been debating an aracari I realized that I'm just not able to adequately provide a home for one at this time due to being unable to properly accommodate the cage size one would need and potential trouble finding/affording the specialized diet they require and the fact that I couldn't safely have an aracari "loose" in my bird safe room where my white cap pionus lives.

So, I decided to stick with my original plan of a maximillian pionus! I have a very adequate cage for a maxi already (40X25X54) and the diet is pretty much the same as my white cap's so he or she will be a nice easy fit in. The first parrot I ever met as a young child was a maximillian pionus actually! They are quite lovely.

Someday I think I'd like to home an aracari but there is no need to rush and I rather not adopt a bird that I could not adequately take care of.

Thanks to everyone and especially Carole for all the help and advice regarding an aracari though!!

Dean

:hug8:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think that is a great decission even if you are disapointed. You will have so much fun with your new bird and it will feel good to have made the right choice.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
That was a very responsible choice. This choice means you care about your birds. Good job. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I do not understand how one could afford an almost $2,000.00 bird, but not get it the appropriate cage? Is it the space you do not have?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You are welcome for the info. It may help someone, and maybe some day you will find yourself in the position to have one in your life. :)

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
@waterfaller1

Realize that when first writing about Aracari's on here I had read very little about them as there is quite limited information regarding them on the internet. The extra cage that I currently have, the 40X25X54 (i think its that...i know its over 40 inches wide but i lost my tape measure) i thought would be adequate for an aracari but I'm realizing while it may be ok i much rather have an aracari in an aviary sort of set up being what I've learned about them...so I suppose yes, it's the space issue.

I wouldn't purchase a bird If I couldn't afford all aspects of its care...lucky for me, my veterinarian is a family member and I get my birds diet and toys through wholesale prices and also grow the rest of my birds food...so really the cost for me is the cage and the bird only.

The aracari that I found was $1500, which is doable, but I couldn't find a cage I was comfortable with for under $1000.

It was important for me also to be able to have the aracari out and about in my bird room and given their possible predatory side I could never be comfortable knowing my white capped pionus could be at risk....also, my uncle has very little Ramphastid experience so I'm not even sure he would be the ideal vet for an aracari and that would cost a lot more as well and coupled with not having a car...eeek.

So yeah! My seven month debate on what bird to get has been narrowed down to the Maximilian pionus. I know a really great breeder down in Florida who is expecting to have chicks in about a month or so...getting excited.

Dean :maxipi: :whitecap:

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Glad you did your research and paid attention! I remember seeing an Aracari at the zoo and thinking that they'd need a ton of space. Can't wait to hear about your new Pi when you get him/her.

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Thanks @Cara

I am glad that aracaris are sorta hard to come by because I can't imagine most are able to properly care for them.