• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foods for Birds #1: Aloe Vera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassidy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kassidy
Aloe Vera♥♥♥♥♥ – Has very useful healing properties.

This plant, also known as the medicinal aloe or burn plant, can be found growing in arid climates (climates lacking sufficient water or rainfall). It can be used for a large variety of animal and human ailments, from skin to even digestive problems. Just the gel alone from the inner leaf of an aloe plant can greatly enhance the healing process of a wound. It can also help prevent infection and scars. The gel is able to soothe and relieve the pain from burns, cuts, bruises, insect bites, blisters and even blemishes. This is due to the painkilling properties of the magnesium, lupeol, and salicylic acid found in Aloe Vera plants.

In parrots, this natural healing agent is used to treat their skin problems. While some ointments may have toxic side effects after being used on our parrots, aloe is safe, natural and even hypoallergenic. Some evidence shows that it can even be effective if sprayed on some feather plucking parrots. This can be due to the soothing property in aloe gel that helps itchy skin, which may help prevent some parrots from plucking. Aloe Vera is also known to be used for digestive problems, and even to soothe the pains of arthritis.

Visit this website to read more about Aloe Vera: Parrot Pharmacy in a Leaf

You can also find more information on how Aloe Vera can help feather plucking parrots here: Feather Destruction

Properties:

Amino Acids
– contains 20 of the 22 amino acids that human bodies require, and it has 8 of the essential ones that the human body cannot create on its own. These 8 essential amino acids are Tryptophan, Isoleucine, Methionine, Leucine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Lysine, and Valine.

Nutrients/Vitamins
– A, B, C, E and Folic Acid. Aloe Vera is one of the very few plants that contain most of the B vitamins like B1, B2, B4, B6, and Vitamin B12.

Minerals
– Magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorous copper, chromium, calcium, sodium, potassium and iron.

Read more about the properties of Aloe Vera here: Aloe Vera Properties

Preparation Methods and Ways to Serve:

Aloe Vera works best when used fresh and from the plant. It needs to be used straight after harvesting as it can break down within 20 minutes. Aloe Vera Gel comes in convenient forms these days however, and can be bought in stores all over the world. If you don't have your own Aloe Vera plant at home, you may want to buy a bottle of some to keep handy just in case. Make sure the gel is pure, with nothing added to it.

You can also make a solution of Aloe to put in a spray bottle for spraying on your birds. To do this, you just need to mix Aloe Vera juice and distilled water in a spray bottle. Four parts water to one part Aloe is a pretty good solution. Remember to find the purest possible juice when you go looking for it. This spray is also good for feather plucking birds because the taste of the Aloe and the dampness from being sprayed discourages them from plucking.

This is the first entry I finished for my Foods for Birds project.

Lauren and Jack

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lauren Watson
You know... I have alot of aloe... and never thought about giving it to Jack... I think I might try it.

Kassidy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kassidy
Sounds like a good idea, did you try offering it to him yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.